Adding a relay to DCC

collectors

Hi, I’m looking to add around 35 led lamp posts & possibly other items that i would like to keep off to track power supply " DCC Elite".
So, is there a accessory decoder that i could operate 3 or 4 relays so i can still use my Elite to switch the items but using a separate power supply for these items. "Hope i made sense" 
If the accessory decoder only sends a pulse of voltage, maybe i can use latching relays??.
The only thing i have heard is decoders don’t like the coils in relays??

Cheers.

I use relays in conjunction with dcc acc decoders and manual switching for my points.

I fire the output from the acc decoder into the relay coil which closes the contacts for enough time to allow the CDU in the manual switching circuit to bang the solneoids over.

If your acc decoder can send pulse or steady output then you can use relays to switch your lights.

Latching relays allow the pulse output to be used which is more efficient as it only fires the one until you need to reverse the switching option.

There is a latching relay wiring diagram on the forums ... 

Rob

You can operate a 12 volt relay from an accessory decoder. As RAF96 says what choice of relay is used will depend on whether the accessory decoder can provide a continuous output (use ordinary 12v relay) or if only a pulse output (use a 12v twin coil latching relay).  Bitsbox in the UK have both styles . Twin coil latching item SW105 and standard DPDT 12v relay SW100.  http://www.bitsbox.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=253

Basic accessory decoder wiring design is shown here... http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC2.html#Accessory

However, the cost of a decoder and relays will be reasonably high and an alternative may be to obtain a regulated 12 volt DC power supply that plugs into a wall socket which is rated at 1.0Amp, 1.5Amp or 2.0Amp and from that feed a small bank of On/Off toggle switches, then run feed wires from the switches to the appropiate lights.  Cost less than £10.00.

With LEDs don't forget to fit a series resistor unless the LEDs are rated at the voltage being used e.g. 12 volts, then they will have a resistor pre fitted.  LEDs only light when connected to the supply the correct way around and will immediately blow if a series resistor is not fitted!

Archived