Converting Networker to DCC

TOK774

Hallo all, 

Firstly I'd just to say, been away for few reasons mostly medical which is still onging but i'll try to answer what questions I can.

Now to the topic at hand. I've looked around for along time to see if anyone had done a networker conversion and documented it online. I saw a few websites that got confusing quickly so I gave up looking in favor of figuring it out my self. One day on Ebay someone was selling a networker and lots of spares saying it was a partial conversion that was never finished, I quickly snapped up the buy and got a look at their work which was impressive and would have been quite  fancy but also over complicated and used up space that prevented the body from fitting with all the seats in side. So I decided to start over,  Wiring up the pickups to the chip and the motor to the chip was quite simple  using the same method used on a lima class 37.

The DIrectional lighting was an issue I had been trying to work out for quite some time. recently an idea came to me. I brought the dcc couplings for the  VEP and fitted then to the the Networker's existing coupling method, then i had to thin it out abit using a file on the plastic other wise the Bogie would be to tight and wouldnt be able to move,  this  set up was also heavy so it needed to loose some weight or the wheels with traction tires wouldnt touch the rails. once done and connected to the trailing car its all  good. 

I have had a problem with the directional lighting in that the red seem to be on both cars which obviously isnt right, then i reliased i attacked the trailing car's lights on the wrong wire so dont do that hahaha, Also had a porblem with the making it go after attaching the lights to the chip, I mention this now, to recheck all your solder work as mine wasnt to good it seems and the problem was that the wire from the DCC decoder to the motor had come off and  needs to be reattched.

I'll try to add some pictures if possable and provide updates on my progress.

I hope this proves to be helpful and good luck.

Archived