hogwart castle conversion to DCC

jbcontrol

hi I have a hogwart castle but have no info about it. it is made in china(does that reduce the chance of locating it from the 11 listed in railmaster). the motor has the usual capacitor fitted between the brush silver plates, but also has resistors fitted into both feeds to the brushes. the tender picks up extra feed from one side of the track.  i want to fit the hornby R8249 decoder, and want to know what to do about said resistore, if that is what they are. do i remove them ,or keep them use?? i do not know the different types motor, or wher to find this info??.  Any help would be very welcome.  ps i have looked at Brian Lamberts site and could not find any info there about my loco  thank you in anticipation       jbcontrol (john)

John,

I have just reviewed your other post since you currently only have 2 to look at. It is forum etiquette to acknowledge that you have at least read the answers contributors make, even if they have not been helpful. Did my answer to your previous question resolve your issue?

It is useful to others that read the topics later in time to know if an offered suggestion resolves the original posters issue or not. The information contained historically in the forum should be for the benefit of all, not just the individual asking the question at the time. Hence the benefit to others of providing some feedback.

hi john 

if you can ,take a few pictures of the motor and connections ,the capacitor and inductors are usually removed 

isolation of the motor from the chassis is key to any dcc  . i have hogwarts awaiting conversion ,so if yours and mine are similar 

i will take mine apart and work with you on your conversion .

Just to satisfy my curiosity, perhaps one of the two posters named below could respond and clarify. The post started off being asked by user "jbcontrol" but the solution was thanked for by user "Ridgepointe Rail" (a first time poster with today's account creation date).

Is "jbcontrol" and "Ridgepointe Rail" one and the same person, or did "Ridgepointe Rail" just happen to alight on this thread with the same question to answer.

John/RpR and Jane, for your info there are 2 very different internally Hogwarts locos, at least.  The first type comes without a headlight and has a Ringfield motor with no connection between chassis and left hand brush.  So this one is simple to convert - remove all of those components then decoder red and black to the pickup wires from each side, and decoder orange and grey to the 2 motor connections.  From your description I think you have this one John.

The second type has a headlight and a can motor. Again simple by the same method as above.

Also, when you are putting it back together, make sure you do not overtighten the screw that holds the tender draw bar.  If you do, it will pull the threaded anchor point for the screw out of the body and you’ll need a new body to complete the job. 

Hi to all, very sorry to chrissaf,i did not realse about replying, so thank very much for replies to both my requests. the first one yes it is working fine thank you.  now to the hogwart castle, when i initally tested this loco it did not work on dc. after removing it from the body and putting iton the rack (without the tender), it worked fine. so hence my querie to you about conversion. the site that you suggested for me was ideal. it showed how and what to do. i did use a second hand (by me) R8249 decoder. i had previously tested the bare unit for connection between wheels and brush contacs,and there was no connections.i put the loco on my program track and read the cv's the details appeared correct including reading cv1 as the number i had been using it on. i changed the number on both loco and decoder to the number that i wanted to use for it.  when tried on the dcc track it did nothing. on checking quickly with dc the loco moved,telling me that it picks up from both tracks without the tender. this confuses me as the tender has collectors etc from the left hand track,which is delivered to the loco/tender link up,but to me it does not link up from there. there is no light wiring or any other visible sign of power being used or sent anywhere . just checked and both loco and tender have collectors from the lefthand side. beginning to think that someone before me has swopped over parts??

thanks to all who have answered me, and no Chrissaf, i am only me, not ridge pointe rail

hi, i have checked again today, managed to read cv, which was correct, then tried loco again on track and it is working ok WITHOUT THE TENDER. So have reassembled loco and it istill works fine. so to jane2 all i can say is followthe guide that Chrissaf gave me, and it will be fine.

Archived