Why can’t all user manuals be like this...

96RAF

Please would Hornby consider using the outline content of this manual as a basis for all their future product manuals, including analogue and digital controllers, loco and accessory decoders and other modules as well as locos.

The expanded content over existing manuals would I feel be of great benefit to many users, especially the detailed description and operation, wiring diagrams and printed circuit board layouts and their associated bills of material. The publishing of such information under copyright would allow many skilled users to repair their own equipment using industry standard parts.

For locos this would replace the existing maintenance and service sheets and could show exact detail of circuit boards, all wiring and a full catalogue of chassis and body parts. If this was implemented as part of an improved and possibly rationalised parts provisioning project the economic impact would be minimal.

Rob

• 5 months later...

If you want a lot of fun try reading the digitrax manuals on programming a decoder.  I asume the various manuals were written by different people because (just like in aircraft manuals) the same programming mode gets called by at least one other and maybe more different names!  As to cross reading manual to manual it fairs makes my blood boil!

@rigger

Having been both a service and civvie writer of aircraft manuals for once I know what I am talking about (rare event).

Aircraft manuals are written in one voice as dictated by the ‘how to write a manual’ manual. This prescribes both the format of the piece and its terminology and tense.

For instance as you well know servicing procedures were written as a precise item and action thus...

Split pin (qty 3 off  - 1 per nut) Remove and discard.

Nut (qty 3 off) remove and retain for use later.

Bolt ...., etc in the same vein.

Service requirements were listed thus...

Item ID - Item Nomenclature - Action - Frequency of action - Other information.

Maintenance/Service Manuals were written in blocks per subject matter thus...

Description and Operation

Removal and Installation

Function and Test

Repair and Overhaul

In each manual was a defintion of the standard phraseology used throughout the books...

Look for...

Inspect

Examine

Check

Test

Operate

Function

etc.

This excludes those manuals written in Simple (very basic and often odd) English for certain third world countries.

Happy days

Rob

Archived