going over 19 functions

flying scotty

According to the controller manual, the functions only go up as far as F19. You could contact Gaugemaster and ask if there are any plans for a firmware upgrade to support F20 to F28

/media/tinymce_upload/dccc88d54d92d8f37e97b30ca5e54f86.jpg

Hi

The Gaugemaster Prodigy Advanced Squared (2) is capable of accessing all  functions F0 to F28. Just ensure its has the Squared symbol (Superscript 2).

This is an extract from the PA2 manual

Specifications and Features Input:

15-16 volts DC, 3.5 Amps. It comes with a universal switching power supply (good for USA and Europe). Output: DCC signal with 14.5 V amplitude, for HO and N scales Scales larger than HO may need a power booster, such as MRC’s Power Station 8 Maximum Current: 3.5 Amps Maximum number of Cabs: Use up to 99 Cabs (see page 2-4) Address Capability: 2-digit (1-127) or 4-digit (1-9,999) Speed Steps: 14/28/128 Accessory Functions: 28 (F0-F28) Advanced and Universal Consisting Program Loco on Program Track Program Loco on Main Track Read Loco on Program Track

Further Manual entry..

PRODIGY ADVANCE 2 New Prodigy Advance″ items have retained all the features of the standard Prodigy Advance system with the addition of F28 (28 loco functions) compatible. To operate the loco functions you must use the keys marked 0 – 9 as stated in the manual, functions 11 – 28 will require the SHIFT key to be pressed before the desired function number in full. As on all units the LCD screen will only display up to F12. Both Prodigy systems are fully compatible with each other but only when both walkabout and base unit have the PRODIGY ADVANCE ″ logo will the full 28 functions be accessible. In the event of either item not carrying this logo the system will default to the standard 20 functions.

The manual entry show by Chris is for the older PA version and was replaced some four or so years ago! GM still have it on their web site though!

Edit to add... To access Functions F10 to F28 press the shift key, then two key board numbers e.g. to access F15  press Shift and key board numbers 1 and 5. To access F25 press Shift and keyboard number 2 and 5 and so on.

FB, the manual section I highlighted in yellow, would appear to have not been updated. After seeing your post I went back to look at the on-line PDF I took the screen shot from, and sure enough on page 2 of the manual there is a note that states what you put in your reply. So it would appear that rather than going through the manual and updating all relevant sections, they took the lazy option and just put a note at the front of the manual. I made the mistake of going to the page listed in the contents / index page (to save time), rather than reading the whole manual from the cover page onwards

It would appear from reading the manual note more closely, that any function above F12 will not display on the LCD screen. Meaning that if, for example, you use Shift + 2 then 2 for F22, F22 will NOT display on the LCD screen. Thus there would appear to be no visual confirmation of what (if any) function number has been sent to track. This to me seems to infer that the firmware upgrade that they implemented for higher functions was a fudge to save having to manufacture a new LCD screen with the extra display characters on it. Since the display only goes up to F12, it would appear that F13 to F19 was a previously similar firmware upgrade fudge implemented prior to this latest firmware for F20 to F28.

@flying scotty

If your paper copy of the manual doesn't have this information note about the higher function numbers on page 2 of the manual, then download a new copy from here:

http://www.gaugemaster.com/instructions/prodigy/dcc02_2.pdf

The Prodigy Express and Advance ranges of DCC control systems are all imported into the UK by Gaugemaster, but they are built and also sold by an American company called Model Rectifier Corporation (MRC). They are widely available in the US under the MRC brand name.  When they arrive in the UK Gaugemaster re badge them to show their GM logo.  Gaugemaster also act as the UK repair agent for the rebadged items, so that removes the need for any GM sold Prodigy item, if ever defective, to be returned to the manufacturers in the USA.

If you want to download the correct PA2 manual visit the MRC web site and it is available as a .PDF file.  http://www.modelrectifier.com/v/vspfiles/resources/trainSound/0001414.pdf

Archived a copy of that on my HDD. Seems a more complete thought through manual with more 'How To' examples in it.

It is handy to be able to input a three digit number onto a two digit screen. A methodology I have seen used is a long press of the first number which presents on screen as 1- or 2- and allows the further two digits to be input,, thus expanding the apparent shortcoming of some two digit controllers to access a wider range of CVs and their values (e.g. 1-255).

Rob

Archived