Elite not storing loco addresses.

Colpatben

Please save my sanity. 😢

I have a new Elite straight out of the box today, Software V1.44.

I have run my existing N Gauge layout with the Elite (normally operated with NCE PowerCab) and all runs fine. Every locos responds, I have entered lots of addresses which I can recall at will, as do Turnouts through accessory decoders.

However if I turn the Elite off, when I return and power it up again for another session there are NO loco address stored and I have to enter them again, is this normal as I cannot find any reference to storing the address within the Elite!

Are they stored in volatile memory when in use and disappear when you turn the power off?

Or is there a ‘Store’ button that I am not aware of?

Or is there battery back-up that needs time to charge?

You can give Locos 'alpha numeric' names that are stored for recall. But there is no power off memory for recently used locos and their DCC addresses. Incidently, this feature is supported in the Select.

The name feature also allows you to name points as well as locos.

The Elite will store the last 10 locos and points used during a session accessed by the ESC scroll facility. Once powered down the names are retained in memory against the address, but the running list dies until you select more locos/points in the next session. Any addresses named previously will retain their names next time.

There is no internal battery in any Hornby kit.

Rob

Great, got that. My fault for comparing apples and oranges, I thought because my NCE PowerCab stored 6 locos as you entered them and stored for next and subsequent sessions then the Elite did the same. Slap wrist and read the manual  😳

Not too much of a problem 'cos ultimately all control will be RailMaster. I promise to read that manual.

Thanks for the replies.

Not too much of a problem 'cos ultimately all control will be RailMaster. I promise to read that manual.

Don't rely too much on the RM manual for the initial installation and setting up. Most of the information you will need is in the manual, but it is not very well written for a newbie. A bit of a catch 22 situation as it is the experienced that recognise the significance of some of the manual contents that are not well covered, but it is the inexperienced that need to follow the manual and don't necessarily recognise the important significance of some of what is in it.

So I recommend that before you start installing and setting up RailMaster, that you have a look at the two sticky posts at the top of the RailMaster sub-forum and follow the link to the RM 'Help Site' where you will find a 'step by step' tutorial with screen shots. These posts have been written by those with the prior experience essential for trouble-free installation to aid the inexperienced RM newbie.

If you follow all the guidance given in those posts, then you should have a trouble-free installation and initial configuration. Unfortunately, RM was originally written for Windows XP and is not particularly 'plug n play', it needs a lot of tweaking (to the railmaster.ini file) to run trouble-free in later Windows versions (particularly W8 & W10). There is a lot of relevant info in the posts that is not adequately covered in detail in the manuals. I use the plural term manuals on purpose, because as well as the RM manual, you also need to read the supplementary PDF guides. One relating to Security and the other related to Drivers. These also contain info not covered in the main manual. Again written poorly in my opinion. So do look and follow the guidance in the two sticky posts, reading those should make the manuals make more sense.

My main TIP is to install your Elite driver first BEFORE installing RM. Assuming Win7 or above, let 'Driver Plug 'n' Play download the Windows Driver. Do NOT use the Hornby provided driver, the Hornby provided driver is for Win XP and Vista. The driver installation is also a two stage process that is not adequately described in the manuals, but is better explained on the 'Help Site' navigated to via the sticky posts. Or better still in this thread. Once the Elite driver is installed, then install RM with the Elite connected and powered up and the driver loaded. If at all possible use a USB 2.0 port and NOT a USB 3.0 port. The Elite does not like some USB 3.0 PC port hardware.

Archived