Super 4 Track to DCC

thewurzel

Hi 

Im new to model railways in a way. I used to play with my dads set in the 70's /80's. 

I now have inherited his set. I have a lot of super 4 track and a very small amount of seris 6 track, small loop with sideing that came with the HST set in the late 70's or early 80's 

I would like to use the super 4 as i have much more of it and I also have a a turntable that goes with it 

I am going to get this up and running. building a 8'x 4' layout.  I am going to clean and rebuild motors as not much seams to work right now as they have not been used in 30 years.

I would like to convert it to a DCC system. Will the older Super 4 track be ok for running DCC?

Thanks and any input would be aperciated.

Julian

hello julian 

the track will be fine working on dcc , you will have to convert your loco's to dcc by fitting a decoder to each loco .i think the best thing you can do is get all your loco's running as near perfect as possible , any faults they have on dc will be amplified on dcc.

once you have done that you will need to know the stall current of the loco's . ie how much current is taken by each loco in a stall

this will dictate the size of decoder each loco will need ,older kit tends to use more current .

Archived