Hornby surface mounted point motors

GDG256

Hello all. 

Please can someone help.

I have a layout (using only Hornby parts) powered by an Elite, connected to the track via a power bus. I have wired two surface mounted point motors (R8243) to two points. 

There is an Accessory Decoder (R8247) operating the points. The Accessory Decoder takes power direct from the bus.

The point motors work very well when "pushing" the switch away from itself. There is a really positive movement and sound, and it does not appear to be a problem with a lack of power.

However, the points motor will not then "pull" the switch back towards itself. It is the same for both units.

The points are mounted flat and there does not appear to be anything obstructing the movement of the switch at all.

I have tried loosening the screws and removing the point springs but nothing I have done will get the motors to "pull" the switch back towards itself.

Please can someone help??

It sounds as if it is mis-wired. The symptoms you have described fit exactly with a specific mis-wiring scenario.

This previous post of mine (bottom of page) explains all:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/surface-point-motors/?p=1

It's possible that you have followed the PECO point wiring colour scheme which is different to Hornby's. Hornby use Black as the common return, PECO use Green for that function. Reversing the Green and Black wires creates exactly the symptoms you have described. See the drawing in my link above that explains why.

• 11 months later...

Archived