Which files to transfer?

I have successfully transferred my licence from my W10 desktop to my XP Laptop, and it is running just fine.

Although I did have to briefly disable the firewall to transfer the licence. I immediately enabled the firewall and ran a scan, Mcafee being the installed antivirus programme.

I have transferred the Plan (.pln) files and the programme files (.prg) that I have constructed?  But which file do I need for the Loco Definitions? As I have none defined on the Laptop and would prefer no to have to recreate them.

Also are there any others that may be important.

I have tried searching on the Forum ‘Loco definition files’ and other similar wording to no avail.

Just for reference, all the files are defined on page 132 of the RailMaster user guide.

/media/tinymce_upload/2802065360ae75d76a7cc4e05581b763.jpg

Also are there any others that may be important.

Potentially yes, for example railmaster.ini but I would only transfer that file if you are keeping the SAME Windows operating system i.e renewing PC the hardware but keeping the same OS. Since you are downgrading to XP, I would keep the current XP .INI file that appears to be working, as there are entries in the .INI file that are OS specific.

Note that "Groups.DAT" is ONLY created if you have set up some loco Groups. If you have not set up any 'Groups' then it will not be present.

I have tried searching on the Forum ‘Loco definition files’ and other similar wording to no avail.

The forum search function just does not perform well when searching more than a single word i.e a phrase such as your one above in bold. The forum search only finds EXACT character matches. Just one letter or space wrong and a match is NOT found, the forum search function does not return near misses. The key to finding things using the forum search, is to use single word searches. For example had you searched using the word "transferring" then you would have found these.

/media/tinymce_upload/9613929b50fab8f3e81a27a1c37caca3.jpg

The other thing that works well with phrase search strings, is to use Google's Advanced Search and put the following "domain" [https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum] in the restrict search to 'site or domain' field. This then uses Google's more advanced search engine to search the Hornby forum.

/media/tinymce_upload/adc7f071d843504956eaf3c025ceffe6.jpg

It's all about understanding the limitations of the Hornby forum software and finding ways round those limitations. I can usually find most previous forum topics I want using Google's search engine or single word searches in Hornby's own search engine.

Archived