Y point cause a short?

darrenmarkgreen

Since you have posted in the Hornby DCC section. I assume your layout is DCC. If not, see the note on the drawing below (you cannot use a DCC RLM on a DC layout).

Hornby R8238 Reverse Loop Modules are heavily discounted on Hattons site at the present.

Note: Irrespective of the labelling on the R8238 and the controller you are using, if you use a 1 amp power supply put the R8238 switch in the 'Select' position. If you are using the 4 amp power supply, then use the Elite switch position.

/media/tinymce_upload/4c58dbbda9eb86462aa2caf29e3fdc58.jpg

PS - Any DPDT switch that is fitted is wired such that the power to the WYE siding section is reversed when the DPDT switch is thrown. This previous post (follow link below) shows one way in which the DPDT switch can be wired.

The link below, also shows why the WYE generates the short circuit.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/layout-advice-please/?p=1

EDIT to above:

I see from previous posting history that you have RailMaster (confirms that your layout is DCC). Do note that the output of the R8238 going to the WYE sidings MUST be the ONLY power connection to the siding track. If you have already wired the sidings off the WYE to the DCC track power (perhaps via a BUS for example), then these DCC connections MUST be removed. The R8238 will only work if ALL the DCC power to the protected track section goes through it.

Hi Chrissaf,

Thanks for the reply,i do have the reverse loop module R8238 which i did by from hattons,even bought the power booster. did think that might need the R8238 for my layout but not 100% sure and was on offer.

Greatful for the positions to place the insulation fish plates on my plan.

Cheers

Darren 

Darren

As your plan stands you wouldn’t be likely to be running enough locos to warrant using a booster unit, the purpose of which is to repeat the controller signal into a totally electrically separate power district supplied by the booster and its own power supply.

The basic rule of thumb is ‘does your layout fill a double garage’... or do you just want the convenience of having separate power districts On a smaller layout.

It is worth noting that a booster unit also functions as an RLM so if the plan is extended such as to require a booster and two RLMs then you are already good for kit.

Rob

Archived