Trains acting differently

Tumble Bum

Hi all, 

So I finally got the select controller working on my sons mixed freight set (thanks to Hornby and their great customer service, and thanks to everyone on here that gave me input!)  So now the trains run, but not in the same fashion.  The diesel engine in the set works as it did out of the box, stop...go...forward...backward.  However, the steam engine seems to have a mind of its own.  It will go forward when you turn the knob, but only after a little push.  Once is gets going it seems to just go up to full speed and stay there, no matter what you do with the speed knob.  It won't stop for anything, except the emergency stop.  Once stopped it stays there until you have to give it a tap again to get going.....or, while it's stopped, just hit the reverse button, and it takes off at full pelt, but forward, and then won't stop again.  

Sorry to be a pain with all these questions, just trying learn how these dang things work!  Many thanks in advance!

TB

However, the steam engine seems to have a mind of its own.

Which steam engine are you referring to. The 0-6-0 Tank engine that comes with the set. Or the Flying Scotsman engine (originally non DCC) you mentioned in a much earlier post?

The reason I ask for clarification is because the symptoms you have described fit with either the loco having no decoder fitted, or it is suffering from DC Runaway (where a DCC fitted loco thinks it is on a DC analogue track). Since you have a Select controller you do not currently have the option of adjusting the appropriate CV to turn off DC support.

Does the steam engine make a high pitched whining/buzzing noise as well as running away with itself?

Hi Chrissaf, 

Thanks for replying.  It is the 0-6-0 tank engine that comes with the set.  The Scotsman doesn't have a chip, so I did not want to use it until it is ready(that's still some time away).  There is no high pitch whining when it gets up to speed.  Just sounds the same as the diesel from the set.

In that case, all I could suggest is giving the 0-6-0 Tank a throughly good clean. The wheels, both sides and the rims. Including a check of the tension in the pickups. If that fails, then it would appear on the face of it to be a faulty decoder in the loco, which shouldn't be too costly to replace at about £15 or less.

Archived