Elink flashing green light

Hi everyone,

I have fallen victim to a most unusual problem last weekend.

The light on my Elink has a solid green light until it is connected to my layout in the track sockets it then begins to flash and an audible repeating beep can be heard. If plugged in to my laptop, Windows cannot detect the Elink as hardware. If I connect the layout to the prog sockets the flashing and beeping stops and Windows can detect it and things are normal, until I plug the layout into the track sockets again! Leaving it powered down and trying again the next day didn't help.

I have tried to flash the Elink with the firmware in the Railmaster folder. This has not changed anything. I have not been able to find any older versions of the firmware to attempt to use that for updating instead.

I have bought a virtually brand new Elink from eBay and the very same thing is happening. I have swapped the older cables over to the newer one and still no joy. It is of course possible both Elinks have the same problem, but it might not be all that likely. I have looked on the forums and websites and I cannot find any other suggestions for fixes. 

Can anyone help? Surely both boxes cannot be broken?!

Thanks, 

Ian

If anyone ever sees this type of problem with any controller it points to a track problem.

Prove the controller by connecting a single length of track.

If AOK then look at your main track for clues, like a mislaid short circuit inducer.

Rob

• 4 months later...

I too have a flashing green light on my E link controller.  I have tried all the fixes recommended in this section but too no avail. I have power in but nothing out to either the main track or the programming track. Has anybody got any suggestions as to a fix?  I have another E link but it is in Spain at the moment and I am in UK!

If you connect it to your PC via USB and start up RM you should get the opportunity to reset the eLink by way of the little red square inside the big red Stop button, if indeed it doesn’t boot normally when so connected.

Rob

The reset button that Rob has documented is shown below (the image was originally Rob's).

/media/tinymce_upload/59b06869e285f6e6474fac6ce3b71ec8.png

If your installation of RailMaster does not display this small red button, then edit your 'railmaster.ini' file so that these two lines are placed as the very last two lines in the file. To edit the 'railmaster.ini' file use the bluish COG icon found in the lower left corner of the RailMaster Help Screen.

Alternative comms=1

Check controller=1

This assumes that you are using Windows 7 or higher.

Archived