DCC help to set up layout

Guest Chrissaf

I have had model railways for many years British outline.    I still have some of my old stuff Flying Scotsman still in it's box and bits and pieces I would like to build a DCC layout and I have been told you can convert analog to DCC   what about hornby points do you need the use insulating joiners or gaps in the rail any help as I am a beginner when it comes to DCC would be very welcome

What about Hornby points do you need the use insulating joiners or gaps in the rail?

No.

Modifications of this type are only required when using Electrofrog points such as those made by PECO. Hornby do not make Electrofrog points.

Note: Just for completeness of information, insulating rail joiners will be needed if your track layout design incorporates a 'reverse loop' in it. A 'reverse loop' is defined as any track design that allows a loco to take a path route through the layout and arrive back at its starting point but facing in the opposite direction.

You do however need to fit Hornby R8232 DCC Point Clips to Hornby points when using them on a DCC layout (but only when following official Hornby layout installation guidelines). On larger or more complex layouts, many prefer to implement a DCC BUS power distribution system which negates the need for the fitting of DCC Point Clips.

My downloadable PDF will fill in gaps in your knowledge regarding the basic differences between DC and DCC and the use of DCC Point Clips. You can download my PDF here:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/track-extension-pack-guide/?p=1

The thread is locked against new posts being added. The download link IS NOT locked. Go back to that page and click the download link I have highlighted in the yellow box below:

The PDF downloads in the background and gives no obvious on screen status (subject to browser being used) as to what is or is not being downloaded. Look in your nominated browser download folder and you will most likely find the PDF will have been saved there.

For some reason the Hornby website software handles PDF downloads this way and confuses a lot of newbie Hornby website users. Nearly ALL the PDF files on this site download silently in the background this way and do not display on screen, even when the browser is configured to do so.

/media/tinymce_upload/33d78953b85a3e561ad9df8875e219fc.jpg

Hi

If using DCC and Hornby points you can use the Hornby Elecro. Point Clips, but these IMO are a rather low standard of connection and really suited to train set layouts where track is often moved to form new track plans!

If you have settled on a permanent track plan then seriously consider installing a DCC bus pair of wires around the under side of the layout using two dedicated wires for the Bus and then fit Dropper wires for the connection bus wire to the rail above.  This offers the very best of  both power and data transfer. See....  http://brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.html

Archived