Flying Scotsman trouble

Mark77

Hi.  

I have the Somerset Bellle plus expansion to make the inner circuit.  She runs perfectly around the whiole track.  However, the Scotsman pulses around for a bit and then trips an OL on the controller.

Any thoughts as to what the problem/solution might be?

Hi Mark, welcome to the forums.  I got out my railway problem divining kit, plugged it all into the iPad but was unfortunately not able to get much more information on your problem.  So I’m stuck with trying to solve it with the very little information you provided. Sorry to be a little sarcastic but we aren’t magicians or mind readers and need more info than you’ve provided to be of much help.

But let me try using what I can divine.  From the Belle set detail, I see it is an 0-6-0 loco and the set includes a Select controller and a radius 3 loop.  You’ve added an expansion pack to give you a radius 2 loop as well with crossovers.

For a start, did you fit digital point clips to the extra points?  I assume so given you say the Belle runs over the entire layout. 

With the FS, did it come DCC fitted with decoder, or was it DCC Ready and you’ve fitted a decoder.  If the latter, which decoder?  And also if the latter, have you pushed the decoder so far in that a pin may be touching the chassis behind, at least intermittently?

Then can you try running FS without the tender. Does this make a difference?  If so, you may have one of the contact fingers bent on the tender post and causing an intermittent short.

That gets me to the bottom of the diviner display. We await your answers before trying to help more. 

As the FS is a perfect scale model of course it will stutter and stop at regular intervals, just like the real thing. Sorry couldn’t resist a poke at my least favourite loco.

I see the real thing evacuated Victoria station during last night’s rush hour when its steam set the fire alarms off. Apparently they turn the sensors off when a steamer is in the station and someone didn’t.

Rob

Archived