Select Overload.

Guest Chrissaf

Could there be a short in the loco itself?

More than likely. But since the overload doesn't occur the instant you put the loco on the track, I would say the short is internally within the decoder on the output to the motor circuit, hence why it overloads only when you try and pull away. About the only thing you can try yourself at home is to substitute the J83 decoder with a known working one. Maybe the decoder currently in the 08, but preferably a completely separate new one.

If it still has the same symptoms with a known working decoder then it would appear to be something in the loco wiring. It has been known for Hornby locos to leave the China factory with crossed wires such that one of the wheel pickup wires have been crossed with one of the motor wires. Such a cross, completely mucks up the electrical circuits and can damage the decoder, so before you substitute the decoder with a new working one, test the continuity of the wiring WITH THE DECODER REMOVED between wheels and decoder socket and decoder socket and motor to check for factory crossed wiring.

This link will give you a drawing showing the wiring connectivity on the 8 pin decoder socket. Note that the sockets in your locos might possibly be 4 pin, in which case the wheel pickups should go to the OUTER pins of the 4 pin connector and the motor wires should go to the INNER two pins of the 4 pin connector.

http://www.brian-lambert.co.uk/DCC.html#Basic

Hello! Any help would be appreciated here.

I recently purchased the Hornby Mixed Freight as my first step into model railroading. I was incredibly excited when It showed up, I set it up as soon I got the box. The Class 08 shunter worked fine out of the box, no problems. The J83 on the other hand refused to work. I placed it on an isolated length of powered track, and the moment I budged the throttle on the Select R8213 controller, I hear the motor wind up ... and immediately cuts off; the select controller gets overloaded. The 08 will operate fine on the same track, the J83 will not.

Is there anything I can do to the locomotive? I live in Canada, so shipping will take a lot of time and I'm hoping to be able to do something myself. I have a proper UK/American adaptor. Could there be a short in the loco itself?

Many thanks!

I took the chassis off the loco, took a look at the wiring and check it with the link you sent me. It's only a 4-pin, and all the wires matched up (black to black, orange to orange etc). All the wires are isolated from eachother; none look to be grounding on the chassis or creating a short anywhere.

Do you think the decoder is defective? Or maybe a short in the chassis?

Many thanks!

Do you think the decoder is defective? Or maybe a short in the chassis?

Based upon your statement that the Select only overloads when you try to open the throttle, then that would infer that either the decoder is defective or there is a short on the motor side of the decoder.

Just because the wire colours match. Grey to grey, black to black etc. Do not assume that there is no crossed wiring. You will need to use an Ohmmeter (Multimeter on resistance scale) or a buzzer continuity tester (your you eyes for a visual check) to prove that the black and red wires go to the wheels and the grey and orange wires go to the motor.

As you have the mixed freight set you should have another loco with a decoder fitted.  Swap the decoders between the locos.  If the fault moves with the decoder then it is 99.9% certain that the decoder is faulty.

You have a risk with swapping decoders given that an overload is occurring and that is that a faulty decoder may have damaged the motor or a faulty loco may have damaged the decoder.  However, given the same thing has occurred repeatedly - starts up then immediately overloads - would seem to indicate the fault hasn’t been fatal. 

Given you fully check the loco wiring as Chris has suggested, that really only leaves the decoder and putting the one from the 08 in the J83 will prove it.  If it is the decoder, it’s a standard spare part, someone will give you its X number, I just failed on a search of the Hornby site.

Then given it‘s new, I’d email Hornby Customer Care with a full explanation and they may ship you a new one. They are pretty good on warranty. Or ringing them would be better as they are known to be slow on email replies. Details are at the bottom of this website. 

The least risky way to prove the loco and/or decoder is to put the suspect decoder in the good loco. If the fault follows the deocer its the decoder at fault, end of story (Maybe - as the other loco may have induced the fault).

If the decoder is good in the good loco then the fault must be in the dodgy loco and needs further investigation as above.

I think the symptoms point to a bad motor if it only happens after the motor starts up.

I wouldn’t risk my only known good decoder in a suspect loco.

Rob

Archived