R3284TTS not running or no sound

Stulay

hi I just purchased the R3284TTS for use with Hornby select V15, however i Cannot Control the speed it just runs, it is set at 3, even when I adjust speed or press emergency stop nothing happens it just keeps running, when trying to use the function buttons nothing happens although it shows on, on the display, I have the mixed freight locos (without TTS) running and controlling no problem

please help 

Hi,

i tightened the connections to the track but now it runs intermittently, and the sound is there without pressing any functions, I cannot Control the speed or change the sounds, I recently ran a 45 year old DC Wren on the track which hadn’t been used for 35 years so it needed some TLC and oil, could the oil on the track be causing this, still all other DCC trains run fine 

I am at a loss as it is my sons bday in a few days and he has been asking for this for months so want it to run right 

Did you buy the Loco new?

If so, I suggest returning it to the seller because it is possible the Decoder could be faulty (or not fitted correctly?). 

In terms of oil, very little is best.  They do say if you can see the oil you have applied, you have put too much on.  There definately should NOT be any oil on the track.

Sounds like what is known as DC Runaway where the DCC signal is incorrectly interpreted as DC and ,as there is always full volts on the track, it takes off like a scalded cat and cannot be stopped without cutting the power to the track.  This can’t be caused by the track being dirty, or dirty wheels or poor pickup connections. But it can equally be caused by the decoder being over-sensitive/faulty. 

Have you had had a short circuit on the track when it was on the track, this can cause it to happen more.

And then there was a batch of faulty TTS decoders ,although this often shows up with non-Hornby controllers.  They need returning for firmware upgrade of the decoder  

Irrespective, as its new, return it under warranty. 

@Stulay, Fishy wrote:

"This can’t be caused by the track being dirty, or dirty wheels or poor pickup connections."

He meant to say:

This can be caused by the track being dirty, or dirty wheels or poor pickup connections

Now if only we had a facility to edit the text within a post, then I could have just corrected the word silently.

Archived