Runaway Train and CV29

Guest Chrissaf

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having browsed this thread, this is the first time I have ever heard, or read about, bus termination filters.

Mine is a small layout on 6x4 board. Are these recommended for any DCC layout (I use Elink with Railmaster) and do have a bus.

If so, did I read (and not fully understand) that the track should also include a gap in its power continuity? Or is that another issue?

BEJ, Have a read of this.

On a layout your size, you are unlikely to need BUS terminating filters (or track gaps in an oval). Unless that is, you are experiencing any of the issues that are highlighted in the article linked to above.

• 2 months later...

So an update...........Elite sent to Hornby for repair 16 July and returned today after my 3rd enquirey in to where it was after being told it is still with QC.

Letter attached says they believe it's a processor proplem and hasn't been fixed. 

Outstanding!

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the ending to the story of the runaway trains.

I bought a new controller (diffent make) in the end, it was expensive, but then so is the Elite and after all the trouble I had with it I though it would be worth paying the extra.

After powering up and adding a couple of known good runners to the system, I added the troublesome 1st HST and no sooner was it making contact it was off! So I put it back in the box and tried the second. Same thing happened but this time I thought I'd try a factory reset. I did that many times with the Elite  but as you will know if you followed this thread nothing ever worked. So, on to the programme track, CV 8 to 8, write-job done. No more runaway trains!

It was just this sort of frustrating behaviour I encountered with the Elite that makes me not regret for a second the additional cost of the controller. Don't get me wrong. it is expensive, but then this whole hobby is. 

At least I can now get back in the shed and crack on with the layout. So thankyou for all the help and advice but sadly none of that helps with a problematic controller.

Archived