Elite programming track error

Now1983

I recently purchased a new class 92 (R3347) which ran pefectly after running in for 30 minutes each way. I inserted a new hornby R8249 decoder into it and started to re-program it, whilist programming the lights came on and moved in one direction. Next the loco was placed on the track and everytime I put it on the Elite shorted out with the red LED coming on.

After investigating the loco I discover that it was wired incorrectly, one side of the motor and track connections were reversed, making the motor directly connected to the track. I then put the loco back on the programming track and tried to read the code on the chip and all I get is #XXX# on the display. Even tried this with a new loco decoder and get the same message. I cannot even change the loco number. Ihave also tried resetting the controller and up-dateing  the software but no change.

Does anyone know if this is a fault with the Elite.

What happens if you put another known good working DCC loco on the Elite programming track?.

As opposed to a different decoder in the faulty loco.....

PS - The reversed wiring has more than likely blown the original DCC decoder as DCC track voltage would have been applied to one of the decoder motor output wires.

What happens if you put another known good working DCC loco on the Elite programming track?.

As opposed to a different decoder in the faulty loco.....

PS - The reversed wiring has more than likely blown the original DCC decoder as DCC track voltage would have been applied to one of the decoder motor output wires.

Thank you Chrissaf for replying.

I tried your suggestion and used a different loco on the programming track and it did read the decoder and also ran fine on a test track. Looks like I might have damaged some decoder chips. I did try re-setting one but it did not work.

For future reference does "xxx" possibly mean a faulty decoder?

Xxx just means the decoder wasn’t read. You may also get 255 read-back which either means actual value 255 or can’t read it.

At least you know you haven’t blown the Elite Prog output.

Rob

Xxx just means the decoder wasn’t read. You may also get 255 read-back which either means actual value 255 or can’t read it.

At least you know you haven’t blown the Elite Prog output.

Rob

Thanbks for the info.

Archived