Direction problems with DCC

Smerrfy

I installed a Hornby R8249 in an Airfix Fowler 4F loco. It runs beautifully. However, the direction is reversed from what it should be. CV 29 was set at 6 by default - so I assumed changing it to 7 would fix the direction problem. However - changing the CV to any odd number seemed to have the same effect - the loco ran in reverse regardless of the direction set on the controller. Any even number maintained the reversed direction problem I started with. Any suggestions?

GG

@Smerrfy, welcome to the Forum.......may I suggest you reset the decoder, write 8 to CV8 ( it will be address 03) then try the loco on the track for direction......if incorrect, write 7 to CV29 as you tried before.........no need to try any odd number, the decoder only recognises certain values as shown in the decoder instructions........HB

If HB's suggestion doesn't work for you. Then if the decoder is hard wired, reverse the orange and grey wires on the motor. If the decoder is plugged into an 8 pin socket, then makes sure that the decoder orange wire goes to pin 1 on the socket. This exact same issue has been reported before (i.e writing 7 to CV29 not fixing the running in reverse issue), and it transpired that the decoder had been plugged into the 8 pin socket the wrong way round. Turning the decoder plug round by 180° fixed it.

The thing about setting reverse in CV29 is that you do it by adding 1 to the existing value.  Then given all other settings of CV29 are multiples of 2 and so even, then setting any odd number results in reversed direction.  The problem is all the other bits or features of CV29 that you are randomly turning on or off when you set the higher odd numbers.

Take a look at the CV29 calculator at 2mm.org.uk to see what I mean. 

Hi

Note: Airfix loco weren't the best of runners originally, with poor pick ups and traction tyres, so hopefully yours is a good runner on DC before converting it to DCC, as a poor DC running loco will become far worse on DCC!

As its an Airfix loco you have probably hard wired the decoder to the motor and the pick up connections.

I would start off from a base position of....

A) Rest the decoder to its as manufactured defaults by setting CV8 to a value 8. Address will become 3.

Once back at default test loco.

B) If it still runs in reverse to that of the console then swap around the two motor wires which are the Orange and Grey. Then retest. It should now run in the correct direction. Assuming it is now correct, adjust CVs to suit your running requirements. e.g. CVs 2, 3, 4 etc.

Thanks for the advice. I swapped over the orange and grey wires to the motor and it now behaves perfectly.

This was an Airfix loco which I figured was worth converting to DCC as the body work was in pristine condition and the motor was very responsive and very smooth. 

I'm really happy with the final product now - a good looking loco which runs very well on DCC and keeps one more my old stock of locos functioning on my layout!

Thanks for all the advice.

Archived