DCC power connector

Roman12

In respnse to a previous question and answer I checked the power connector to my dc system and found it to be the R8241 digital power connector. The dc trains ran as normal and when I connected the dcc controller to it the dcc trains ran as they should. My question then is am I causing any damage to my DC trains using this connector. Thanks

No.

The worst that can happen is that some medium wave radio stations might become crackly when you are running DC locos. In the UK, when TVs were analogue. Then you might have seen interference lines on the TV picture. But now that UK TV is only transmitted digitally, the suppression that the capacitor in the DC power clip variant provided is now somewhat redundant. The suppression capacitor is only retained in the power clips to be compliant with European regulations. From a technical perspective, they have no impact on how the Analogue DC loco runs. They do however impact on DCC locos, which is why DCC power clips do not have them. In a DCC loco, the decoder provides the suppression function.

In my last reply I wrote:

From a technical perspective, they have no impact on how the Analogue DC loco runs.

I should have added: except to reduce sparking.

Archived