Converting Hornby Triang vintage Diesel Shunter to DCC

SammySquirrel

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can see the orange wire X.298 feed clip in this picture, note the orange wire 0.2/7 insulation on the brush spring.  the Grey wire X.298 feed clip is positioned the same on the other side of the motor.  That side of the spring is also insulated this time with Grey wire insulation.

/media/tinymce_upload/0290bb7bb1eeb51af2ba9b8829739853.jpg

Hi folks!!!

Latest situation

I have serviced one XO3  and X04 motors and I think I have found out why I cannor convert 

them to DCC is because the worm in each oif motors is not linking properly with the worm gear

on the chassis ,  they are locking tight and not allowiing the wheels to rotate.

what have I done wrong.  the motors are definitely running well

Sammy

You say you have serviced both an X03 and an X04 motor (i.e. one with a 'coarse' black plastic worm and one with a 'fine' brass worm.  The black plastic worm on the X03 motor meshes with a grey plastic worm wheel on the drive axle whereas the brass worm on the X04 motor meshes with a brass or black plastic worm wheel.  Have you switched the motors round by mistake so a coarse worm is trying to mesh with a fine worm wheel, or vice-versa?

GS

Well I have finally thrown in the towel on this project

I bought another X04 chassis which ran perfectly on DC  I serviced it and tried

another convertion without success.  I followed all instruction to the letter given to me by the forum

I used a heavier decoder which Railmaster could not find   I tried another three decoders which I knew were ok

but still could not get Railmaster to recognise.  So I am given up and going off for a holiday.

Manny thanks to all forum friends for advice and encouragement.  I have four shunter diesel wrecks which

look.like they will be going on ebay as scrap

Manny thanks to all

Sammy Squirrel

• 3 weeks later...

Got back from holiday and thought nI would have another go at this convertion.

I think that the problem is (but I could be wrong) that after servicing the X04 motor, I cannot get

the worm to mesh with the worm gear and therefore there is a slight space between the motor and the 

chassis which does not let the the driving wheels to power up.

It would be great if anyone in the Airdrie/Coatbridge area who knows how to get round this could 

contact me 

SammySquire[[

• 1 year later...

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to check here on a thread that deals with this Locomotive/motor directly should I be getting a short over the carbon brushes when they touch the commutator? (there is no short if I lift the brush off the commutator while keeping it all connected). I'm measuring the short on the connectivity test (that beeps) on a multimeter.

Also, to note this loco runs perfectly in DC :-/

The short you are seeing/hearing is the low resistance of the armature coils. If you put the meter across brush to brush and turn the motor slowly by hand you will see the resistance of each pole winding. These should be the same ohms value plus / minus a tad.

You should be measuring from each brush to its associated wheel pickup. This is the path you must interupt to install a decoder.

The motor coils have such a low DC resistance, that using a 'continuity beep' type tester will give a false indication. You really need to be using a meter that will give a definitive resistance value reading in ohms. Expect to see a value in the region of 30 to 120 ohms.

These vintage type motors draw a lot of current. Most Hornby decoders are limited to 0.5 amps for the motor, with a peak of 1 amp (very brief peak). You really need a decoder with a proper 1 amp continuous motor current rating. This realistically means looking at an alternative brand of decoder from Hornby.

Note that the Hornby Sapphire decoder had the 1 amp rating, but that decoder is now obsolete and not available for new supply from Hornby (some may still exist in retailer stock).