Old Hornby Locos Stuttering or not Running at all.

Guest Chrissaf

If your Select has had loco zero selected and the speed knob turned then that can and will distort the DCC signal.

Either reselct loco zero and switch the speed fully up then down to off, then try the misbehaving loco.

Where does Scotty come into the equation, was it as a result of the Swindon visit, is it fitted with a decoder. Does it run with a 9v battery across the wheels. Unfortunately there are almost as many Scotty models as there are Scotty dogs and many of them have totally different mechanisms. Got an R number for it?

Rob

Hi all, 

I bought the Somerset Belle set (R1125) and the Flying Scotsman (R2675) along with three carriages, two x R4426 and one x R4313 and some extra track way back in 2012, and after a short period of use, it’s been ignored ever since, sat on top of my wardrobe.

I recently visited Swindon and popped in to the Hornby sho, there where I was reminded of the joys of model trains. I got home and uncovered my Hornby and set up a basic loop, making sure the fishplates were connected closely, making sure I’d set the DCC SELECT wires into the right sockets on both the unit and the power track and ran the Somerset Belle (R2882). Without me even rotating the speed dial, the train slowly moved forwards, squeaking and jolting. With some speed dialled in, it was able to do a full circuit but the dial did not seem to change the speed of the loco 

Given how old the the DCC is, it would be running 1.1 but that wouldn’t affect the running of the trains?

I’m assuming i need to oil the train, but I not very confidan, as i haven’t done that before.

The flying Scotsman will not run at all, but it had lots of dust on and in it, and the exterior of the loco seems lose, even though I have not unscrewed it from the base?

Any thoughts?

Rob, the Scot R number is in Gopnik's first sentence, namely R2675.

Oops

Service sheet 316 is for a Railroad Scotty, which is one of those awkward ones, loco drive with no socket and a dummy motor in the tender.

Rob

Archived