class 43 R3602TTS Consist with sound

dinmore manor

I have recently bought hornby's R3602TTS class 43 HST in Swallow livery but either have a problem or don't understand why the sound/lights won't work when i consist both loco's (power and dummy car) together.

so a little more information, i am using a Bachmann Dynamasis Ultima Controller. i can consist the locomtives together fine but if i want to use sound i have to go to each car seperatley and press the function keys as they don't work consisted togehter it's the same with the lights as well i have to select them seperatley on each car by going to the cars address as the consist address does nothing when i press the lights button (works when i'm on the individual car address). am i missing somehting that prevents me from activating sounds and lights from the consist address or is it just not possible to operate sounds and lights from the consist address?

having to do everything individually is quite frustrating.

There are different types of consist - Simple and Advanced. Each has different operating characteristics and which type you can use depends upon either/both your decoder and/or your controller. See the famous manuals.

Added to this is the type of consist used by some software packages, such as Railmaster, which consists within the software even if a decoder does not support consisting. This works by the software sending dual commands to both the ‘consisted’ locos. From memory this allows seperate control of functions from each screen throttle and dual motor control from any throttle.

Some folk prefer to run a consist with motor control under a single address but with functions and sounds, etc available separately at each loco, whereas others will be happy to have all functions under one address. The simple way to achieve the latter is as Fishy says to address both ends of an HST train with the same address, rather than place them in a consist as generally they run as a fixed set anyhow.

I would prefer to be able to start my engines seperately and use horns, etc at the appropriate end rather than have both ends blaring at once.

Rob

Hi everyone,

Do the engine sounds in the dummy p/car notch up when you increase the train speed? If they do, will this only happen if both decoders are the same address? I assume that if both decoders have the same address, things like horns will sound at both ends at the same time. So do you have to have separate addresses to have independant sounds at each end, but will this mean that the engine sounds in the dummy car will not increase with loco speed, will you have to increase them manually? With no motor in the dummy car, I don't understand how this works. If both decoders have the same address, do they both sense the same motor bemf and respond to it, or do they resond to the throttle setting?

Confused, cheers, Rich.

If same address, then both decoders will do the same thing at the same time. Will also need reverse the direction of the dummy car decoder in CV29 do get forward and rear lights.

May also need to put in a dummy load on the motor to get engine sounds ,easy to check with and without. 

With separate addresses, will either need to consist or operate both throttles together, easy with RM but not otherwise. 

If you rig them on separate addresses you can control the second engine manually using F5 notch up, F6 notch down, F7 to idle or F8 to thrash, else as Fishy says use the same address for both.

TTS steamers use BEMF to control the ‘engine‘ noise increment, but TTS diesels do not, they rely upon TTW, essentially speed step brackets that call up the appropriate notch sound. See the TTS user manual If all else fails.

Beware installing a dummy load on the non motored decoder as when you apply speed to that address the load resistor will get hot, so it needs to be a hefty wattage component and not near plastic.

The Elite with firmware v1.42 onwards can program a dummy car without a motor load.

Rob

Thanks guys. I've bought a HST TTS twin pack, but there's no specific instructions for programming the dummy car, or how best to use the two decoders together! There is mention of a seperate info sheet, but the one I have does not give any info relating to programming or using the two decoders together!

Thanks, Rich

...but there's no specific instructions for programming the dummy car, or how best to use the two decoders together! There is mention of a seperate info sheet, but the one I have does not give any info relating to programming or using the two decoders together!

Unfortunately the generic installation instructions are a tad vague and the user manual is more focussed on telling about the functions and not how to make a twin pack interact.

I am still working the decoder speakers, socket and lights installations of my older HSTs so it will be some time before I get round to the setting up and running stage.

Rob

Hi everyone,

Did a trial installation. Put a decoder in the dummy car and put it on a programming track. Using Hornby Elite (Version 1.43), i could change loco address without connecting a motor load. The engine sounds change when you turn the throttle knob up and down, the same as if there was a motor attached! Gave the motorised power car a different address. As 'dinmore manor' says, when I made them a consist, function control was not available. The engine sounds change on both decoders with the change in throttle position.

What I did was select each power car individually, switch on lights and engines on each. I now selected the consist address on throttle 1, this controls the movement and changes engine sounds. I selected the leading power car with throttle 2, this is used to select sound functions such as horns.

Hope this helps.

PS, didn't try giving both decoders same address, as I don't want all sounds (Eg: horns) coming out both power cars at the same time.

Cheers, Rich

Archived