Unknown decoder in Lima diesel loco

pd91223

Apologies in advance for submission in this forum, but I'm hoping the wealth of knowledge here will be able to crack it. I don't believe it's a Hornby decoder, so does anyone know what make it is and what functionality it may have?

/media/tinymce_upload/6b8ce1d1f9b2f3b7599580fb2f8578e3.jpg

Interrogate CVs 7 & 8 and report back with the numbers.

Try to do this directly if possible from your controller rather than using RM which can and often does misread a decoders ID, but if you only have eLink then give it a go.

Its likely an old decoder looking at the architecture of those chips.

Edit... if you don't have a decoder tester just plug the red and black and orange and grey wires into the appropriate holes in the DCC socket of a handy loco after unplugging the existing decoder.

Edit again... its a Lenz 10231-02 see here https://goo.gl/images/eR6Dkm

Rob

@RAF96

Many thanks, Rob. It's in a loco I'm considering buying, so I don't have the ability to interrogate it ... yet! But, as you say in your edit, it looks very close, although I'm not sure what the yellow block is bottom right. Thanks again, that's close enough to give me some confidence in buying it.

Paul

Just to bulk out Rob's reply with a bit more detail for the benefit of future readers of this thread and for those who might be interested.

Extract below from NMRA Standard Section 9.2.2

/media/tinymce_upload/a85877a1f7faeb60b3547529771a858a.jpg

CV7 is defined by the manufacturer and represents the actual decoder model.

For example, RailMaster uses an internal decoder database to display this information in the RM CV reading / writing screen. i.e converts the CV7 number into an actual product name. This is why sometimes, RM throws up an error message when it doesn't recognise a new decoder, because it isn't in the HRMS created database. It does not mean that RM CAN'T work with the decoder, it just requires a little bit more 'user' effort to configure it, because the HRMS database contains default CV values for that manufacturer's decoder which, of course, RM now can't make use of.

However CV8 on the other hand is defined by the NMRA and a look-up table is in Appendix A of the NMRA Section 9 standard.

Appendix A (may download silently in the background, check your nominated browser download folder if nothing appears to happen when clicking this URL link).

NMRA Standard Index

Once you know what manufacturer the decoder is made by via the CV8 value. You would go to that manufacturer's web site and view the various decoder data-sheets to compare the value of CV7 for their different decoder products to identify the exact decoder your photo represents.

Archived