Hornby Virgin HST TTS Problems

gooners

Hi

I am new to the forum, I am having problems with my Virgin HST tts, it reponds sparadically to commands from the controller, sometimes the sound works and sometimes it doesnt

The loco takes time to except commands from the controller, so it doesnt speed up or slow down when it should and the sound only comes from the dummy loco

I have changed its address several times and it works for a short period of time and then after a while the problems reoccur, does anyone have any ideas why this is happening

Thanks

Welcome to the forum.

What DCC controller are you using?

Knowing the controller may impact what direction you are pointed in.

What firmware is the controller loaded with?

The firmware shows on screen during the power up check phase. This is clearly stated on an Elite controller screen during power up, and is the first of three numbers to be sequentially displayed on a Select screen. The firmware version, if using a Select controller is particularly important to know. Ignore this question if using Hornby RailMaster with an eLink.

Is the loco the R3390TTS?

It does help to have the Hornby R number stated when raising a question.

Welcome to the forum.

What DCC controller are you using?

Knowing the controller may impact what direction you are pointed in.

What firmware is the controller loaded with?

The firmware shows on screen during the power up check phase. This is clearly stated on an Elite controller screen during power up, and is the first of three numbers to be sequentially displayed on a Select screen. The firmware version, if using a Select controller is particularly important to know. Ignore this question if using Hornby RailMaster with an eLink.

Is the loco the R3390TTS?

It does help to have the Hornby R number stated when raising a question.

Thanks Chris

Sorry I forgot the model number

I have a Hornby select and the first number to come up is 15 then 30

Cheers

Control issues with TTS locos combined with the Select controller seem to come up on this forum in alarming regularity. The 15 tells us that the Select firmware is version 1.5 and is the current latest firmware for the Select and the one best suited to TTS locos.

More often than not, factory resetting the Select can offer an improvement. Unfortunately you cannot factory reset the TTS loco decoder because the Select is too basic to do that. But factory resetting the Select is in the Select 1.5 manual on Page 19.

TIP As a 2 post newbie you wont be able to reply again straight away. But when you do reply, can I humbly request that you do not use the 'White Arrow / Blue Button'. This is not a 'Reply to this Post' button. There isn't a reply button on this forum for each individual post. To 'reply', you use the 'Reply to "xxxxxxxx" '  text box at the very bottom of the page and click the Green Reply button. Where xxxxxxxx is the topic title of this thread.

Anything is possible, but the Admin post did say the firmware issue was 'certain' controller related. Presumably one would hope that they would test production TTS models / decoders with at least their own controllers before releasing to the market place. So my interpretation of 'certain' controllers would be non Hornby ones, and I should think that they know which ones they are too but not necessarily publishing that information.

For info, Admin post on TTS firmware issue can be read here:

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/hornby-tts-decoders-reported-problems/

The TTS uni-directional programming and running issue was found out about with an other make controller, subsequently some other other makes also showed the issue; the Hornby controllers were OK.

The problems were reported on another forum which once passed to Hornby initiated investigation and recovery action.

Hornby now check their decoders with a wide range of other make controllers as well as obviously their own. Hornby also obtain other make decoders to test with their controllers if there are user reports of incompatibility, e.g. Hattons and some Bachmann. This can result in the controller firmware being updated to suit. E.g. Elite v1.43 for Bachmann and Select v1.3 for ESU v4.0 decoders. Such progress also reflects into RM.

Rob

Archived