nmra compliant dcc systems + hornby elink

SilverIsTheMan

Until now I have had only Hornby and Bachmann DCC locomotives running on my layout (DCC) with no problems all using Hornby DCC Decoders and two Select units for control. I've had a Bachmann class 66 for a few months now in need of a decoder, it's been a few years since I've bought a Loco without a hornby DCC Decoder already fitted, so went and got a DCC Decoder for it, first time using a non hornby decoder with my setup (gaugemaster), unfortunately it's not working with my select and as far as I can tell I've fallen foul of this issue of the select being a NON nmra compliant dcc control. I have an Elink but until now have not used it at all as I just like using a physical controller, if I was to set up my elink on the layout would this eliminate my need to buy an elite or another equivalent alternative? I'm also aware hornby can "update" the select or at least used to but seems as I already have an elink would that solve this NMRA compatibility issue?

You don’t say what revision state your Selects are nor what the exact GM decoder is but chances are an update of the Selects would allow the GM decoder to be used. Hornby may do you a deal for updating more than one Select to v1.5  call HCC to discuss it with them.

If you rig up your eLink it will also probably self update via Railmaster. You can check in the decoder drop down list if your GM decoder is supported by RM. If you go down this route then be sure to read and comply with all the advice on setting it up that is posted on the RM forum area.

Rob

You may find that the problem is incompatibility between the decoder and the loco, rather than the controller and decoder.  You could try swapping decoders between locos to check if that is the case.

There is also the possibility that the suppression capacitors that are fitted to the loco motor need to be removed.  Capacitors are known to intefere badly with some decoders and many users recommend them to be removed as a matter of course.  Hornby R8249 decoders don't usually seem to be affected by motor capacitors.  I've fitted quite a few of them and never needed to remove any capacitors.

I have several GM DCC27s & DCC29s running with my Elink. They're not all in Hornby locos, but I don't have any in Bachmann locos, for which I use ESU Loksound or Dapol Imperium-1s or Bachmann's own. I also have a Hornby TTS. All of these work well with the Elink.

The only decoder I've had any problems with is one of Hattons' own in a Bachmann loco. I was warned - by Hattons themselves - when I bought it that this might not work with the Elink and it caused me some initial problems, but it now seems to be working ok.

Use your Elink!

Archived