Dcc 8 pin plug to 8 pin socket extension lead

paul.b

Hi all

I have two hornby pendolinos (DCC Ready) i had a few new dcc decoders in the drawer (dcc concepts nano direct fit with stay alive )

/media/tinymce_upload/618bba09ec3db4fd8f21fe0b56de351e.jpg

and fitted them to the power car and dummy but have run into a problem.

The body`s will not go back on properly as the decoders are touching the inside of the body does anyone know if you can get an extension harness so i can drop the decoders down below the control boards i mean an 8 pin dcc plug to an 8 pin dcc socket  or am I out of luck and will just have to make them up myself,just dont want to have to buy 2 new decoders when i have 2 already here. 

paul...

I'm afraid it will have to be 'DIY Centric' Paul.

NEM652 sockets pre-terminated on bare ended wires are readily available from loads of suppliers (search eBay), but getting a NEM652 8 pin plug for the other end to terminate on the wires will be a lot harder. They are available, but not so common as the corresponding socket.

EDIT1: Here are two sources of a NEM652 8 pin plug. The second link is for a dual purpose product. It can be a plug OR a socket depending upon which side the wires are soldered. Thus for each PAIR purchased, you could make a single extension lead.

NEM652 plug from Railway Scenics

NEM652 Plug/Socket from DCC Supplies.

EDIT2: "NEM652 sockets pre-terminated on bare ended wires" as evidenced by Rob's posted screen capture above.

Many of the images above (including Google and eBay search results) are for 8 pin NEM652 plugs that adapt to a different (than NEM652) DCC socket format (NEM651 6 pin sockets for example).

Thanks Guys

Yeah seen what was available when i googled it earlier ...I have some sockets  left over from when i converted my HST`s to cd motors from the old ringfield I will have a look for the plug`s with wire attached and splice them together thats should pass an evening away  😀

paul

Paul, See my later EDIT1: in last reply.

I think you will find that the only plugs with wires attached will be the ones that are cut off an existing decoder. Pre-terminated sockets are sold, but I have never seen pre-terminated (wire ended) plugs.

I use those NEM 652 sockets (3rd one along 2nd row down in my picture) as loco sockets but they work just as well as plugs, depends where you solder your wires - on the pins or in the holes. Hence you can make then any length.

Mine came from China years ago 33p each in bulk free P&P.

Rob

Coincidence??

I've just been doing something very similar. I use a lot of lithium polymer rechargable batteries in another of my hobbies, and a new 'toy' I'm assembling needed two outputs, where a battery only has one, referred to as a balance lead, (multi  positives and one common return) as well as the main output leads.

As I've not been able to find an adaptor anywhere, I've had to make my own from an offcut of multi-pin single row plug (to be the 'male') and a balance lead from a deceased battery.

One of the outputs only needs the pos and neg to power an auxiliary function, while the multi-pin output runs a 'low battery' warning monitor - so the actual load is negligible, a few milliamps - and now it is waiting to be 'potted up' in an equally bodged up box of scrap bits of acrylic (which is rather difficult to photograph!). I've tacked the box together with superglue, and once that has cured, I'll mix up some five-minute epoxy resin, and dribble that in around the wires and the back of the male plug, to support and insulate everything.

(Fingers crossed!! I've already checked that it works!)

(Edit for a typo)

/media/tinymce_upload/eafca548c0851e90c18d2bc8dafd4b22.JPG

Technically Yes, but it would depend upon how confident you feel about your soldering skills. Heat travels, so there is always a risk if the iron is too hot, or left on too long for the socket on the board to be damaged. Plus it will probably devalue the loco with a permanently soldered modification. Personally if it was me, I would be looking to spend the little bit extra to buy a plug and make the mod totally reversible. What about if it ever had to go off for a repair, if the board needed replacing, the repairer probably wouldn't replicate your mod if it was permanently soldered. They could even feasibly replace the board even if it wasn't faulty to restore the loco back to factory condition.

Hi 

While i wait for the socket/plugs bits to arrive that chriss told me about i had a rummage around my bits n bobs drawer and found pin connectors for RGB led strips 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-10-20pcs-4Pin-Male-Plug-Adapter-Connector-For-RGB-3528-5050-LED-Strip-Light/153213582756?hash=item23ac3dbda4:m:mndVQZVDoc22XvdzrH_Ya6Q:rk:16:pf:0

so i thought i would see if these would fit a 8 pin decoder socket and they fitted perfectly ok I know they are in strips of 4 pins but two glued side by side make a perfect 8 pin decoder plug so i have used these to make the fly leads i needed for the pendolino power/dummy car 

paul.....

I have those strips on long lengths of 40 pins each strip. They can easily be cut to shorter lengths if required. They are used quite extensively with Arduino project boards.

Archived