DCC is old, Do you have anything from it's early days?

The son of Triangman

I bought Roco 43330, 310.23 an OBB 2-6-4, in Dec 99, which came with an integrated Lenz decoder and a reversible jumper plug in the tender to go from DC to DCC. I had not planned on going digital at that point, but 'needed' that locomotive....

In April 2003, after winning vouchers in the Continental Modeller draw, I bought a Roco DCC start set with the Lokmaus 2. A great value set which must have introduced many a modeller to DCC. With the addition of a Multimaus later on, I am still using this set.

Once I got the DCC set I could now see the deficiencies in 310.23's decoder. What was state of the art when the model was announced was now old school and the design of the locomotive with the decoder (I think) in the boiler made replacement a series operation that I won't be attempting. 310.23 is still the highlight of my collection, and still leads the field in the standards of RTR locomotives nearly 20 years later, but I'll just enjoy operating her on DC. Later releases had a standard NEM 652 socket. I have one other locomotive with a decoder integrated with the PCB and a reversible jumper - an Atlas ARR GP38 - and I wouldn't buy another.

Although the DCC format and standards had been around from the mid 80's, the 'rules' were not yet fully implemented or followed by 1999, and I'm glad that once I did get started properly with DCC in 2003, things seemed to be more settled................however, I do think manufactures are starting to drift from the core standards which is a concern.

Even more interesting is that DCC was around the 1940's with the Lionel Magic Electrol system, General electric also dabbled in the 1960's with it.  In 1972 a modern looking system came out made by electro-plex, it was short lived.  The system we see today was shown at the Nuremburg trade fair in 1979 by Marklin as a rival to the Aifrix system and Hornby Zero 1. Zimo digital started in 1979, Kato, MTR, ZTC, Salota, Integrated systems with their rail command 816 have all dabbled with digital command control (DCC).

DCC is very old.

Archived