different branded DCC locomotives with Hornby Select

TeejayTj

Hi all again.

I have just been browsing the internet and my eye landed on this model on the website of my local hobby shop.(I am Australian, and I live in Australia.)

The link to the locomotive is here --> https://www.ozrailmodeltrains.com.au/locomotives/sds-pacific-national-no-stars-dc-powered-sdsnr29.html  (The website says it's DC powered, but I gave the shop a ring and they said it is DCC ready.)

I am going to purchase this locomotive, but I would just like to ask, can I use the Hornby select on this locomotive? and if you can, can you use the Hornby Select with ANY DCC locomotive?

Short answer is yes, BUT as it is claimed to be DCC-Ready that means it will need a decoder installed before you can operate it fully with the Select or any other DCC controller.

That advert as you say badges it as DC powered with several lights.

You should (if close enough to him) ask your dealer to show you the socket as being H0 it may require a specific to model decoder, some US H0 models do this by way of completement replacement of the main PCB.

Rob

Looks a lovely model, go for it.

Its should be a 21pin socket from what I see and once chipped should be fine with the select.

I've seen some episodes of Railroad Austrailia - shown on Quest in the UK - and I would definately like a few models to have visiting rights on my railway......................

Not sure what your level of skills/knowledge is hence the DCC-Ready explanation. Not meant to be patronising.

Sometimes H0 models have this type of decoder as opposed to the normal plug in sort we usually see on 00 models...

https://www.ozrailmodeltrains.com.au/dcc/tcs-amd4fct-drop-in-atalas.html

The model you are looking at comes with options DC, DCC no sound and DCC sound, so it maybe possible to see how the factory did it.

Rob

Archived