Accessory Decoders R8247 and R8216

Guest Chrissaf

Which controller were you using when they started playing up and if possible the revision state of the firmware at the time.

There is a correlation between a certain controller and accessory decoder failures in my files somewhere, which will take some digging out and as I am prepping to fly to UK soon, I may not get to dig it out. I have spoken to it before on the forum so a search may find it.

If all else fails call HCC and tell them about the (old) problem and which controller it was.

Rob

Can the R8247 and R8216 ancillary controllers be repaired 

as I have four which do not want to be programmed or say they have

no error messages I have had them at least a couple

of years

thankyou

bob J

You can try to write 8 to CV8 and reset the R8247 decoder to factory default. But you can't do that with a Select controller. You need a controller capable of writing to CVs such as an Elite or eLink.

I found it - it was a  fault generated in a specific configuration only. A Select bug and R8247 Port 1. More info available when the OP reports back.

The answer to the first question is yes they can generally be repaired.

Rob

Just to let you know that two which I reset would not work after  only port after 

programming

one  had two ports only working

one working on three ports

I have ordered a new one

can you possibly let me know wher I can get the snubbers from as it does all point to shots

I am using elink and have been on it for at least two to three years

many thanks 

bob jarret

...can you possibly let me know where I can get the snubbers from as it does all point to shorts.

Make your own. For each snubber you need just two components. A 100 Ohm 2 Watt resistor and a 0.1uF [0.1 micro-Farad] Ceramic capacitor rated at 50 or 100 volts. Far far cheaper than buying a ready made one.

/media/tinymce_upload/518f4adea7d1a7869cb5ed55f5f63fb7.jpg

I had a R8247 that was damaged by 'shorts'. I fitted my home made DIY snubber about 5 years ago and have not had a single R8247 issue since.

R8247...

one  had two ports only working

one working on three ports

Not applicable to your situation as you are using eLink, but if the dead port was number 1 then that was symptomatic of the Select induced failure mode. The bug in v1.1 (only - all other versions are OK) caused a latent operation of R8247 port 1 until it failed. The fix was to simply update the Select firmware as just resetting or even replacing the R8247 and connecting it back to the Select would fail the new one, ad infinitum.

If your Select is at v1.1 then you are advised to have it updated before using it to operate R8247 accessory decoders.

Rob

• 5 months later...

Hi RAF96

sorry it has been so long in coming back to you.never enough hours in the day

In refeference to you snubber diagram,it doesn’t taker much to confuse me

my controller elink to a connector and wire to the track I understand but wire s

to th R8247 I do not as I have eight R8247 can you put me right

many thanks 

bob jarrett

In reference to your snubber diagram, it doesn’t take much to confuse me. My eLink controller to the snubber connector and onward wiring to the track I understand, but wires to the R8247 I do not understand, as I have eight R8247. Can you put me right?

It was my snubber drawing not Rob's.

My drawing said "To R8247(s)" as in plural. So your eight x R8247's A&B DCC input terminals are just wired in parallel across the wires. With that many R8247's.....if you haven't done so already....I would recommend upgrading your eLink 1 Amp PSU to the 4 Amp one [Hornby P9300].

/media/tinymce_upload/98051d616b9f4223b180547e332c0960.jpg

Since you have updated a later post to indicate that you have an eLink, then you can use RailMaster & eLink to perform a factory reset of the errant R8247s.

'How To' is explained in this previous post of mine [4th post down on the page].

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/post/view/topic_id/9065/?p=2

Remember that any 'programming & resetting' of any of the eight R8247s requires that particular R8247 to be disconnected from the above wiring and terminated directly to the 'Prog A&B' terminals on the eLink via a pair of dedicated temporary wires.

Archived