Idiots guide to wiring?

Gbh4

To save me bothering you all with my endless basic questions, are there some good guides/websites on DCC wiring?

I've got R8014 point motors coming (together with the R8015 Housing), then I also have an E-link and the Railmaster software coming.

The e-link connects to the track and powers it. But how do you connect the point motors and anything else that you want to control such as lights, signals etc? I'm missing the link as to how it all goes together. 

As a starting point, check out the links I put at the end of my reply in this previous thread.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/newbie-starting-a-new-layout-and-needs-advice/?p=1

Take particular note of the "DCC Page 2" page in the website that is on the end of the first link in my list (Brian Lambert's site).

The missing product in your list of products in your question is the mention of 'Accessory Decoders (AD)'. You need 'ADs' to interface accessories to the DCC controller.

Depending upon the accessories specifically that you want to connect up, then you will probably need to look outside the Hornby AD portfolio, which is basically limited to the R8247. This decoder is quite long in the tooth now and in need of some significant improvements that would in all honesty need a completely new product to replace it. For example, they only support 2 aspect signals and can't handle 3 and 4 aspect signals that are more prototypical that serious modellers want these days.

Most ADs that are more up to date, are what they call 'self learning' ADs and are simplicity itself to set up and configure. Then you have a lot of accessory products that have integrated ADs inside them. For example DCC Concepts iP Digital point motors and Train-Tech signals.

You can also buy generic ADs that have inbuilt relays, where you can use the relay contacts on them to control all manner of ad-hoc accessories.

Basically all these ADs just connect with two wires to the track output of your DCC controller. Then the wiring from the AD to the accessory is specific to the requirements of that particular accessory.

I've had a good read of those links, especially Brian Lambert's site which is extremely helpful and has helped fill that missing gap which as you correctly said was the AD, but my head is swimming a bit now with information overload!

Not sure if you are allowed on this forum, but could you link me to an accessory decoder that is recommended? I've looked over various results from searches and not entirely sure. 

Would this one do for example or is it over the top?

https://www.hattons.co.uk/80699/DCC_Concepts_DCD_AD8FX_COBALT_8_output_Accessory_Decoder_for_Cobalt_or_other_motor_drive_point_motors/StockDetail.aspx

(if links aren't allowed please feel free to delete, Mods)

I assume you can have several accessory decoders in one system? I've got 7 point motors for example so would need either an 8 way or two 4 way decoders.

That decoder is not going to work with your point motors. You stated in your first post that you had R8014 point motors purchased and on order. The R8014 is a Solenoid based point motor. The DCC Concepts AD8FX is designed to operate motor drive point motors. A motor drive point motor is also referred to as a 'stall' point motor.

In English. The point motor contains a low power electric motor. Attached to the motor is a gearbox that converts the rotation of the motor into a linear action. The motor can drive in two directions. Clockwise and Anti-clockwise. The rotational direction makes a long stiff wire move either left or right. This in turn changes the point.

Thus the electrical output of the AD8FX is a TWO wire connection that provides a permanent voltage output that changes polarity to drive the point one way then the other. When the point reaches the end of its travel the motor 'stalls' and stops. It is still drawing current but at such a low level that damage and over-heating is not done.

Because your R8014 point motors are Solenoid point motors, they need an Accessory Decoder that supports Solenoids. This requires a THREE wire output that provides a PULSE of high current. This PULSE is usually provided by an on-board CDU (Capacitor Discharge Unit) integrated on the decoder. The DCC Concepts model that meets that criteria is the ADS8SX Accessory Decoder (S for Solenoid). The ADS8SX is a well respected decoder used by many on this forum.

This previous post gives info on configuring this decoder within RailMaster & eLink.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/cobalt-ad-s8sx-decoder-setup/?p=1

Yes, you can have more than one Accessory Decoder (AD), you can also mix and match different types and different brands of AD to meet different specific layout control requirements.

Archived