Scalextric standard or Micro

marcus_amison

Hi.

I’m just getting back into scalextric and would like to build a permanent layout. Unfortunately I have no room in my house for the size layout I’m thinking of. I have a large 14x8 shed available, but I’m conserne that during the summer it gets quite hot, and cold during the winter. I have read stories where on hot, sunny days scalextric track can start to buckle, with similar issues on very cold days. Would it be better to go with micro scalextric, as this track would be more resilient to this problem. This wouldn’t be my first choice as micro cars are not up to the same standard as standard cars. Anyone else had issues with the track distorting on particuly hot or cold days?

any advice would be appreciated 

cheers

Marc.

Hi Marc,

While Micro track is of a harder plastic it is still plastic and still prone to temperature changes.

On a mild side note: When people come to our house in the summer they always ask if we have air conditioning. Our house has practically all south-facing windows. I tell them "no" but I am very diligent about keep the shades down just before 12 noon (I leave the house in complete darkness on the way to work) and only open the shades enough to see without turning on the lights.

At night I try to keep the windows as open as possible ( we have "tilt" position and automatic sun-roofs that close if it starts to rain.)

So there are lots of ways to deal with heat and cold just by working with physics.

What is most important is that the track is not exposed to direct sunlight for more than a few minutes. That will make it buckle and bend a lot.

I am assuming a 14X8 shed is in feet, not meters. :-D

With wireless controllers like on ARC AIR and ARC PRO you have more flexibility and with ARC PRO you can race up to 6 people on the same 2-lane layout.

You would of course be able to get a lot more track in the space with Micro at 1/64 scale but you would miss out on all the great ARC features.

I am sure some though have some great arguments for Micro. :-)

Hi Marc - welcome to the forum. That's very exciting that you're getting back into the hobby and have such a decent sized shed to use. I'm jealous!

I am a fan of the smaller Micro Scalextric (HO) scale. I think it is perfect for smaller spaces, where you can have a challenging layout and room for scenics in an area where you'd struggle to fit even a small standard (1/32 scale) Scalextric oval. It's true that both Micro and standard Scalextric track will not be happy with extremes of temperature - some warping is possible, but tarnishing and corrosion of the steel rails is more of a problem.

My advice is to spend some time and some cash on making your shed a Scalextric palace. The first thing to do is make sure everything is sound (especially the roof) and there are no draughts or leaks. Insulation would be my second tip - a layer of insulation (even bubble wrap) sandwiched between the wall and a new false plywood or plasterboard wall will help. Same for the roof & ceiling. Third is ventilation for the summer. And fourth is a mains-powered dehumidifier. A small electric radiator for background warmth might also be handy for the very coldest months. I reckon all this could be done with second-hand materials and is a simple DIY project. Loads of people have great Scalextric layouts in a shed - those layouts cost a lot of money, so the money spent on the shed is a good investment.

Given the space you have, I would go with 'normal size' Scalextric. Whether you choose analogue (one car per lane) or digital (up to six cars on track) is up to you. You can read about the pros and cons here and on other forums or websites. The Scalextric ranges are explained here: https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/our-ranges-explained

Finally, I'll return to the tarnishing and corrosion you can get on the steel rails in a cold (and potentially damp) shed. It is important to cover the track when you're not using it - a fabric sheet is fine to keep the dust off. An Australian product called INOX MX3 is a fantastic conditioner for the steel rails, cleaning them to race and then protecting them between racing sessions. Most people just add a couple of drops of INOX to the braids of their cars and then drive them round the track. Do this at the start of the session or after you've done more heavy-duty cleaning (which you might need from time to time). INOX MX3 is available from Australia and New Zealand and can be imported elsewhere. It's not cheap, but it's the best!

I hope that helps.

Archived