Basic wiring using eLink

Guest Chrissaf

Hi all.

Just starting out after buying the western master. I have watched many a video and read quite a bit but i havent came across  how someone wired the e link. Out of the box it goes straight to the track but i was just wondering when  u are setting up a BUS how it got  wired.. Im only on a 6x4 base but i want to take my time and learn properly. So my query is when i am installing the e link and  accessory decoder, (hornby one) does it get wired like the drawing below, with the bus wires coming straight from the E link with  branches to the  decoder? Sorry for roughness, and i know there are no droppers on the  drawing( another q,  if only on 6x4 what kind of gap between droppers ?) Thank you and sorry for the rough pic..

/media/tinymce_upload/59289e15b9fcf84cc1446e241ea2eb43.png

A rough image is better than no image at all.

Yes, your drawing captures the basic principle. Most users 'solder' the dropper wires directly to the track (outside or underside of the rails, not the inside edges).

It terms of 'dropper spacing' that is personal choice. In an ideal world, one would put a dropper on each and every individual track piece so that the track joiners are relegated to just performing the mechanical joins so that the electrical DCC data path is not reliant upon them. This of course is a lot more convenient when using longer lengths of flexi-track. In principle, the more droppers the better.

Do, do away with using the Hornby power track and power clips if you can, they can cause long term reliability issues. Also, if you do use any Hornby power connectors make absolutely sure that they are the DCC variety. Prise open the covers and remove any capacitor components that you might possibly find there wired across the track connectors. Some digital sets have shipped with the DC power clips in error.

Some time ago, Hornby commented that on their very large DCC demo layout, they saw no need, and had not installed a BUS.  I have a 10x5 board, with 5 ovals, and have only connected each loop to the bus. Hence, 5 connections. Mine works perfectly. In my view, droppers to every piece of track, only benefits wire companies.

Archived