Newbie - Compatible cars / track extension ideas

FourPaws

Hi all,

Complete newbie here. I've bought an Endurance C1399 set for my partner, who has always wanted a Scalextric set from a young age but was sadly disappointed every Christmas! 

I'm aware it's a very basic set so I've also bought the Extension Pack 1 to go with it (it's only going to be a fun present rather than a serious hobby... Well.. famous last words). Is there anywhere we can view some further ideas for basic oval shape extensions? i.e. what others have done with their's?

Also, I'm a big fan of 80s/90s fords, and noticed on ebay you can pick up a scalextric XR2i relatively cheaply. Would these run on the track I've bought?

Many thanks in advance  😀

You can race that XR2i as well as pretty much any analog slot car (which is 99% of slot cars out there) just fine. Older models will have different guide blades and braids but those ar ereadily available.

There is actually a Video featuring that very track:

that also gives a few ideas on what to do with the track.

At the end of the day you are primarily limited by space and imagination (and the number pieces of track you have).

I am a big fan of the super long straights and 90° R2 (radius 2) curves that come in many of the standard sets  and are sometimes available on online auction sites.

They make setting up a track very quick and it cuts down on the number of track connections.

In general the rules of thumb for layouts are:

1. Try to maximize the space available (use guardrails/borders to keep the car falling off if used on a table)

2. Try to get in at least one straight that is as long as possible, e.g. run it diagonally from corner to corner on a table

3. Try to put in a bridge or crossover to even out the track length. The inside lane of a curve is shorter so putting in a bridge or crossover evens things out a bit.

4. Many do not like tight R1 (radius 1) and "hairpin" curves, but if space is t a premium this may be unavoidable.

Otherwise if you just google "Scalextric layouts" you will see hundreds of ideas. You can also track track planning software like Ultimate Racer that allows you to work within a given space to get some ideas as to what works and what doesn't.

Personally I would look into getting ARC ONE or ARC AIR (ideally) as these massively increase the entertainment of the system.

You can race that XR2i as well as pretty much any analog slot car (which is 99% of slot cars out there) just fine. Older models will have different guide blades and braids but those ar ereadily available.

There is actually a Video featuring that very track:

that also gives a few ideas on what to do with the track.

At the end of the day you are primarily limited by space and imagination (and the number pieces of track you have).

I am a big fan of the super long straights and 90° R2 (radius 2) curves that come in many of the standard sets  and are sometimes available on online auction sites.

They make setting up a track very quick and it cuts down on the number of track connections.

In general the rules of thumb for layouts are:

1. Try to maximize the space available (use guardrails/borders to keep the car falling off if used on a table)

2. Try to get in at least one straight that is as long as possible, e.g. run it diagonally from corner to corner on a table

3. Try to put in a bridge or crossover to even out the track length. The inside lane of a curve is shorter so putting in a bridge or crossover evens things out a bit.

4. Many do not like tight R1 (radius 1) and "hairpin" curves, but if space is t a premium this may be unavoidable.

Otherwise if you just google "Scalextric layouts" you will see hundreds of ideas. You can also track track planning software like Ultimate Racer that allows you to work within a given space to get some ideas as to what works and what doesn't.

Personally I would look into getting ARC ONE or ARC AIR (ideally) as these massively increase the entertainment of the system.

Thanks Andy, that's really helpful, and the video was great to see just how much can be done with the set  😆

Archived