test elink voltage on Track and program outputs

Flaps

I have a new TTS Steam  Engine it works on my layout on ID 003 it allso works on my set up track.

When i change the elink connection from track to program it will not read or change any settings 

I found a trouble shooting programe on Hornby knowledge.This says i should have 12 volts on the track when elink is connected.to program connection,test show 0 on the mutimeter.

It then came up with Run time error 339. RitchtX32.ocx or one of it

What does this mean how can i correct it or is the Elink dead

Flaps

Using a multi-meter set on AC volts you would expect to see about 15vAC all the time at the track terminals, but there is only an output from the prog terminals during actual programming pulses. This is a low current output to comply with NMRA regs. A simple prog output check is to connect an led and 1k resistor across those terminals. This will flash during programming. It tells you something is being output but not if that output will actually program a decoder. For that you need an oscilloscope or DCC sniffer to translate the output into text or graphic you can understand.

I have no idea what the runtime error is or where you saw it (Railmaster?). If so it was probably the knowledge base falling over and nothing to do with your problem.

Rob

If you are using a Hornby power track or power clip to connect to the programming track, make absolutely sure that it is not a DC Analogue version (either R602 or R8206). If it is, these track power products contain supression capacitors that affect the low power DCC programming signal. Open the clip cover (prise open the clip clam cover with a thin blade) and remove any component you might find soldered across the track connectors. On a power track, the cover is located between the rails.

As Rob says above, you are very unlikely to successfully measure any meaningful output of the 'Prog' terminals using a normal multi-meter. The ouput on the 'Prog' output is switched on and off so quickly that the slow reading latency of a meter is not fast enough to read a stable value. Hence the comments by Rob to use a LED or a scope.

Archived