Accessories

Stokeyboy

Hi. Just in the process of setting up a small DCC layout. I have an elite controller. My question is if I want to maybe have led lighting, point control and signalling can I wire all this in to the elite. If so what would be the advantage,if any, of a accessory decoder?. Thanks.

Although your post is not crystal clear. I deduce that you are considering two different options.

Option 1 is to operate the points and signals via DCC commands.

Option 2 is to operate the points and signals manually (in an analogue control manner) but just using the Aux output on the Elite to provide the power.

As other's have discovered, the true advantage that option 1 gives is if you are using a point and click DCC method of control. Such as using a PC Screen control system such as RailMaster software (compatible with your Elite) to operate your points and signals. If you only use the Elite controller in isolation, then you have to remember (or have a paper aide-memoir) to remind you what DCC addresses have been given to each signal and point motor. And this involves a lot of button pressing and knob twiddling. This of course means that you MUST have some form of DCC Accessory Decoder between the Elite and the points and signals you are controlling.

Option 2 on the other hand, means that you can use traditional electrical mechanical switches to manually switch points (electrically) and operate signals. Whilst dedicating the Elite controller to do what it does best and that is operate trains. Personally however, if you implement option 2, I would do that via a separate dedicated power supply appropriately specified for that task. Any power that you divert from the Elite to manually operate accessories cannot then be used to operate trains.

In either option, option 1 or option 2. I would not use the Elite Aux output for general purpose LED layout lighting such as internal building lights and platform lights etc. It may sound convenient to just have one power source operating everything, but personally I would try to restrict the Elite power supply to just powering the essentials i.e DCC controlled items only. The more current consuming accessories that you off-load to a dedicated separate power supply, the more power there is to operate DCC trains.

Archived