Lap Counters

Alex C.

Hello, 
I am coming back to Scalextric as an adult as my son is now old enough to enjoy it the way I did but I have a loft full of old track and cars and I need to know if it is possible to mix the old 90's era track with the new version he will be receiving in his Street Racers set?

Any help would be appreciated.

Alex

For four-lane track there are only bespoke solutions available.They all require wiring and a mild understanding of electronics but have the advantage of being very robust once they work.

There are lap counters for Sport track available ad you could use two of those and add the results. 

They are very basic and while they do do timing they only show the fastest lap.

Either ARC ONE or ARC AIR would be ideal for 2-lane.

Connecting to modern Sport track requires the C8222 converter piece.

For four-lane track there are only bespoke solutions available.They all require wiring and a mild understanding of electronics but have the advantage of being very robust once they work.

There are lap counters for Sport track available ad you could use two of those and add the results. 

They are very basic and while they do do timing they only show the fastest lap.

Either ARC ONE or ARC AIR would be ideal for 2-lane.

Connecting to modern Sport track requires the C8222 converter piece.

Thank you for the response Andy,

When I used to have lap counters they usually consisted of a metal slip that you tucked under the track edge and it counted the laps by registering the contact but it was very inconsistent. 

I was hoping that in the nearly two decades that have elapsed since then that lap counters would have improved but it appears the field has become more complicated.

Do you know of or can you recommend anyone who could be employed to build a bespoke four lane lap counter? 

Hi Alex. I think you have a range of option for four-lane lap counting, depending on what features you want and how much you want to spend. Here's some ideas:

1) Two mechanical lap counters (C272). These are for the older 'Classic' track that you have and is what I had growing up in the 80s. They count laps (up to 50). I am 99.9% certain they work in both directions, so you can have one on lanes 1 & 2 and the other flipped round on 3 & 4. The current mechanical lap counters included in some basic sets don't fit side by side in the same way, so would need a big gap between the two tracks to fit them in - not the end of the world, but the C272s are neater. Price for two on eBay: £5-£15.

2) Two electronic lap counters (C8215). I have used these, but not owned them. The give a countdown to start the race, count laps and record fastest laps for (I think) each lane. I am again 99.9% sure they work in both directions, but don't think they can synchronise the race start (or the race result) from one unit - you have to hit the start buttons on both units simultaneously. The C8215 was released around the time of the switch to the Sport track system. Units that came with sets have Sport connectors on each end. Units sold separately have Sport connectors on one end and Classic on the other and the counter comes bundled with a Sport to Classic converter half straight, which would be handy for you, maybe? Price for two on eBay: £15 - £30.

3) Pro units. I've used both Trackmate and DS units. Both are very good. A DS unit for four lanes and an overhead gantry will cost just over £300. A similar set-up from Trackmate costs £188, plus shipping from Canada. DS is a self-contained system, Trackmate runs via a Windows computer or laptop (software supplied).

4) DIY set-up. It is possible to build your own sensors, circuit board and connect up to a computer or mechanical counting unit. You could do it for less than £100, if you had the skills and equipment. There are plenty of tutorials around, this is a basic overview: http://www.slotcarracing.org.uk/trackbuild/part4.htm

If you are thinking of upgrading to digital in the future, perhaps the simplest, cheapest methods are more than adquate for now.

I hope that helps!

Archived