R2665 DCC Conversion

Mac-70

I'm going to convert my R2665 to DCC tomorrow with a Hornby R8249 decoder. One question though, i have seen video's of DCC conversions and they say to do away with the capacitors.

On Hornby installation guide on installing a decoder into a 0 4 0, which mine is. It tells you to install two of these back into the loco, one orange and one red capacitor, if my memory serves.

Just wondering which information is correct, and has any one done the R2665, if so did they follow Hornby guide too the letter, or did they do away with all the capacitors.

Yes, it will reduce to 3 the number of hands you need!

Hornby always say to refit capacitors so as to meet RF interference requirements. But interference suppression is already in the decoders so external capacitors or inductors are definitely not needed. 

Consider installing a socket during your conversion as it is just as much work as a hardwire and makes life easier later on if you want to swap out a decoder.

Like this, noting my wires are not per the standard colour code...my blue and yellow should be orange and grey.

You can buy these sockets pre-wired, but they are much cheaper without.

Rob

/media/tinymce_upload/4782fdaa44af2918bc4d26c97c127033.JPG

I had thought about installing a socket Rob, but thought being a 0 4 0 there mighten have been much room for a socket, so opted for a hard wire. That's a nice job Rob, and i will be adding a socket from now on for sure.

Is there much of a difference between the 8 pin and 21 pin sockets as in functions.

Thanks for the idea Rob if mine ends up like that i'll be one happy bunny. :)

Archived