Recently got back imto scalextric and have a few questions

Owsey15

Hi there well i have been reading up about scalextric and different factors of the likes of changing the controller to an upgraded one and all the different ohms...i just use it at home but i would like to be able to get the most out of my cars and track etc if anyone could help with any tips on upgrading controllers or anything to make it any better the help would be muchly appriciated...many thanks john

Hi John - welcome to the forum and a Happy New Year to you. That's great to hear you are getting back into the Scalextric hobby.

Depending when you last had a Scalextric set, things may have changed a little. You can have a look at the Scalextric range here: https://www.scalextric.com/uk-en/our-ranges-explained and there is a useful potted history here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scalextric. The standard Scalextric set-up is pretty much what it has always been, but there is now the App Race Control system (ARC One and ARC Air) that adds some great features to the basic analogue set-up, plus the digital ARC Pro system that allows you to race up to six cars at the same time on a two lane track. I am a big fan of ARC One, Air and Pro and what the app adds to the 'gameplay' - pitstops, strategy etc - as well as lap timing.

You ask specifically about controllers. The standard analogue and ARC One controllers can be upgraded to any analogue controller, so long as the correct plug for the powerbase is fitted. Some manufacturers and/or retailers will often fit a 3.5mm plug compatible with the older (pre-2014-ish) Scalextric powerbases. For racing standard Scalextric cars on a home track, a 35 or 45 ohm controller is usually recommended. My preference would be 45 ohm DS controller, which retails for just under £30 (with a 3.5mm plug fitted).

An alternative is an 'electronic' controller using a transistor or Pulse Width Modulation (PWM). These controllers are adjustable to drive almost all slot cars you might race at home. The Truspeed BP2 transistor controller is a popular entry-level electronic controller at £60. Other controllers by Truspeed, DS and Slot.it are widely available. These controllers should definitely be used with a Scalextric powerbase with the 3.5mm plugs and that also has a brake circuit. A feature of these controllers is an adjustable braking feature which will only work with a powerbase wired for brakes. ARC One (which does not have a brake circuit) can be used as an lap timer alongside an older powerbase with this simple modification: https://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=77744

The ARC Air and ARC Pro powerbases come with some nice wireless controllers. If desired, they can be upgraded to the Slot.it SCP controllers with the oXigen module fitted (plus ARC firmware). The standard ARC wireless throttles were developed in conjunction with Slot.it.

I hope that helps.

Hi mate really appriciate the help my plan is to get a few lorries and fly scalextric cars as i prefer these...im just trying to get my head around wether the expendeture of these controllers is really going to make any noticable difference ?

Cheers john

It's certainly not something you have to do immediately... I do like the feel of the ARC Air / ARC Pro wireless controllers and also the new wired controllers that are based on the same handle design. Those new wired controllers are only available in the very latest 'standard' sets (Stock Car Challenge, Gulf Racing, Urban Outrun, Endurance & Grand Prix), although they might appear as separate items in the 2019 catalogue. I hope so, as they are a massive improvement on the previous controller type and I think could possibly be the best 'basic' controllers Scalextric have produced - although they have no brake circuit. They might be perfect for your needs and also fit the ARC One powerbase, if that appeals to you.

All the controllers I mentioned before are a step-up in terms of build-quality, robustness and should last a long time. You will notice a difference when you race a car, but how much difference is a good question and different people will give you different answers... All I can say is that I'm more than happy with a Scalextric controller, but am even happier with my Truspeed or DS controller. If, at a later stage, you feel you want to upgrade your controllers, you can invest in the older powerbase (C8217) with 3.5mm plugs and some higher-quality controllers. But I suspect in the short term, that money is best spent on a set, extra track and some of the cars on your wishlist :-)

Have fun!

Archived