Elite reprogramming

Telo

Having trouble programming decoders. Reads all CVs as 255. This is direct to a loco decoder and not through a programming track. Also I cannot reset the decoder using CV 8. So I am wondering if it possible to have the Elite software reprogramed to see if it will cure the problem? Have asked Hornby but they are taking an age to reply so I thought I'd ask you guys out there.

Including Ray’s qualification that some decoders need to “see” a motor connected, you can only program one by connecting the decoder red and black track connections to the programming A and B outputs of the Elite.  You can do this by direct connection (plug red and black decoder wires into the programming output), via a decoder test rig (you can do a forum search on that here) or via fitting it to a loco sitting on a programming track.  The only difference in a loco is you need to make sure the track, wheels and pickups are clean and the pickups tensioned.

When you try and all the readings are 255, it is telling you the Elite cannot find a connection to the decoder. 

All CVs being read as 255 means that the controller cannot electrically see the decoder. Ray is correct, for most decoders, the decoder must be connected to a loco motor or at least a current load of some sort. If you are getting all CVs reading as 255 even when using a DCC Fitted loco, then the Elite just cannot electrically detect the decoder as being present. If the controller cannot see the decoder, then it can't write 8 to CV8 either.

If you are connecting the red and black wires of the decoder directly to the 'PROG A&B' output and decoder is connected to a load and you still get all 255 readings. Then the Elite may actually be faulty. I take it you are using the 'PROG A&B' Elite output and not the 'TRACK A&B' output.

There is always a possibility that reloading the firmware might fix it, but if the Elite has a fault, reloading the firmware might actually break it completely and stop it controlling any locos as well. So reload the firmware at your risk.

If you want to reload the Elite firmware, then these previous threads will give you guidance. If you don't use RailMaster, then you will need to install the Elite driver first......see the third link for driver installation.

Updating Elite firmware

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/updating-firmware-on-the-elite

Alternative Elite firmware update method if documented method fails.

https://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/elite-bricked/?p=2/#post-264669

Installing Windows 7, 8 & 10 Drivers.

for the Elite

http://www.hornby.com/uk-en/forum/windows-10-drivers-for-hornby-elite/?p=1

Thanks St1ngr4y and Fishmanoz. Connected  red and black to program terminal as well as on a prog track and same result for several engines. Firmware 1.41. All cleaned and tensioned and all same results. That is why I feel it is the Elite gone belly up. It still operates the locos as normal but cannot amend settings. Will try again tomorrow and let you know if it works. Thanks for your help tonight.

You don’t say which make of decoder, and that may be significant as later versions of the Elite firmware have better support for certain make decoders other than Hornby which are always fully supported.

You are advised to update your Elite to v1.44 downloadable from the main site. I could list the changes but my website is down at present where the list is. It has been posted on here previously so a search should find it.

Having said that it is not unknown for the Elite programming output to fail. 

Rob

Archived