eLink PROG output issue

SmarTrains

I have the Majestic set which came with eLink and Railmaster, with a few other locos including some Hornby TTS and Eurostar which I have fitted an ESU LokSound with legomanbiffo sounds.

I have a problem with the PROG output in that it can't read any CVs from any decoders (and i've tried 4 that I know are working - hornby R8249, a Class 47 TTS, Class A1 TTS and an ESU LokSound).

The TRACK output works perfectly on pre-programmed decoders, or new decoders on the default ID 3.

I suspect this is a hardware fault with the eLink, however Hornby keep referring me to the RailMaster software support.

I have a background in IT (20 years) so I am fairly comfortable with how RailMaster and eLink work - it has worked perfectly up until last week when it started to fail, and even caused one of my Hornby decoders to emit visible smoke and fry it completely.

I have phoned Hornby support but they just want to send me "troubleshooting instructions" via email.

I now have 3 fried decoders in total (all R8249 which are particularly unreliable in my experience) and now an eLink with a faulty PROG output, so I can't program any decoders at all.

I feel like I'm stuck in Hornby support limbo, and there is very little, if any, local support available here in Australia.

Any thoughts from the brains trust here?

The programming output is low current especially designed in accordance with NMRA rules and regs to avoid damage to decoders if incorrectly wired, therefore I suggest your eLink is faulty and is sending full current to the programming output. I would refrain from using the Prog output.

In this instance I do not think HCC has grasped the root of the problem.

Rob

I agree with Rob that you need to persist with HCC.  Make sure you have documented the full story of in what circumstances the decoders fried, and that all attempts at programming, on a separate short programming track with spotlessly clean track, wheels and pickups properly tensioned on wheel backs (yes, you must make sure you are doing all of those things), have failed.

Then ring HCC and insist on speaking to Mark Lodge the manager, have him call you back if not available.  Give him the full story and don’t stop until he agrees to the return of everything for testing.

Thanks guys, and apologies for the late reply - I don't seem to get any notification when someone replies.

I persisted as you suggested and I eventually got on to Mark Lodge who was very helpful. It's a shame you need to go through multiple layers of ... well ... tyre kickers to get people who actually understand the issue.  I actually ended up calling the UK on Skype to speak to someone, as the email support is decidedly lacking. My eLink and fried decoders are now on their way from AU to the UK, so hopefully it arrives soon and can be repaired and back to me in a jiffy.

In the meantime, no trains for me as my eLink is my only available controller.  ☹️

Archived