Mac OS/X support

I have heard noting from Hornby on other platform support.

jmri supports mac/linux/windows/... but is not (and doesn't claim to be) a shrink-wrapped software product. it is more a platform where you can use the capabilities to do just about anything

with some work.

I operate my layout with full auto running using jmri an elite and hornby locos/decoders.

What did you have to do with the usb ports?

Windows didn't recognize many of the Mac peripherals so I had to go looking for drivers. It also took some time for the Mac to recognize the Elite controller under Windows. I don't recall what I had to do to make it work but I found all the information

I needed in this forum and on RMWeb.

• 2 weeks later...
Dear ,

All Hornby software has solely been designed for a Windows operating system only. We have no plans to design our software for Mac. Apple do produce a program called Boot Camp plus there are other ways in which you can run Windows programs

on Macs.

At the introduction of Intel-based Macs in January, 2006, owners of the new Macs were left without a way to run Windows. Since then, a number of products have appeared that take advantage of the Intel processor for better support of Windows

than ever. These fall into several categories, each with different strong points.

Dual Booting: Boot Camp is a multi-boot utility included with Apple Inc.'s Mac OS X that assists users in installing Microsoft Windows operating systems on Intel-based

Macintosh computers. The utility's Boot Camp Assistant guides users through non-destructive disk partitioning of their hard disk drive and installation of Windows device drivers. The utility also installs a Windows Control Panel applet for selecting the boot

operating system.

http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

Running Windows in a virtual machine: With this approach, you boot the Mac with Mac OS X and run Windows in a virtualization application. The advantage is that you can switch between

the Mac OS X and Windows environments without rebooting. Virtual machine software also supports a wider range of Windows versions than Boot Camp. The disadvantage is that it takes more RAM memory and CPU utilization, leaving fewer of your Mac's resources for

other applications. Most tools let you move files between the two operating systems and sharing peripherals and networking. The main products for doing this are Parallels Desktop and VMware Fusion. Sun's VirtualBox is a free virtualize that has some appeal.

Running Windows apps directly in Mac OS X (Without Windows): CrossOver from CodeWeavers runs Windows applications directly in Mac OS X, without using Windows. Because you don't need to own a copy of Windows, CrossOver is the least expensive

way to run Windows programs on a Mac. The trade-off is that it doesn't run every Windows application.

This post contains links and information to other third party websites and programs for which Hornby Hobbies Limited is not responsible, nor do we

necessarily endorse the content expressed within them. We cannot guarantee that these links will work all of the time and we have no control over the availability of linked pages, nor does it imply that Hornby Hobbies Limited recommends or endorses a particular

company.

Archived