Programing the pendolino in railmaster

Hi can anyone help please ? I'm trying to program the pendolino in railmaster with elink .. I can hear it reading the decoder in the loco but all values are 255 !! I can connect my elite to my programing track and it programs and runs fine ! I've even disconnected the track wires whilst programing but with the same results ! All my other locos programmed fine !! Regards steve

All values 255 means that the controller cannot detect the presence of the decoder. Any clicking you can hear in the controller is NOT positive feedback that programming is being successful, just that the controller is going through the motions of trying to read and/or configure the decoder.

You mention both eLink AND Elite in the same post and with a reference to RailMaster. Now you haven't given enough information to provide a resonable clue as to how you are using both controllers, so although I don't think this is relevant, I mention this just in case.

If and I repeat IF, the situation is that you are using the Elite as Controller A for track control and an eLink as Controller B for accessory control. Then be aware that the eLink (Controller B) Prog A&B terminal output becomes non-functional. RailMaster can ONLY use Controller A for performing programming functions.

Steve,

Rob raises a good point. If it is the decoder in the 'dummy motor car' that you can't configure. There is no motor in the dummy car. Many decoders won't accept programming if there is no motor connected to the decoder.

Extract below pasted from another recent post.

Some controllers & decoders must have a motor attached to the decoder. Thus the dummy car decoder first has to be configured in the motor car, then moved to the dummy car. Some controllers allow the motor car and the dummy car to both sit on the same programming track at the same time (this is only practicable if both decoders are going to have exactly the same settings for every configurable parameter). If the decoders are going to have different configurations, then you program the dummy car first, then remove it from the programming track leaving the motor car behind, before then programming the motor car on its own with the different settings.

The easiest foolproof option is to put the dummy car decoder in the motor car first for programming, then physically move it to the dummy car. Then put the motor car decoder in the motor car and then program that as a separate exercise.

Thanks for the reply .. it's not easy to give all the info so I apologise! Right I've used the pendolino lots of times with my hornby select then I upgraded to the elite .. it programmed and ran fine with both ... then I bought the majestic train set with the elink and railmaster so discarded the elite and set up railmaster with elink programmed all my other locos without a problem ! But when I try to program the pendolino with railmaster and elink all values are 255 !! I've tried programing the car with the motor first .. but 255 values every time .. tried programing both the dummy car and the one with the motor in together still no joy and tried the dummy car on it's own!! Still no good

I mention this just in case you are unaware. But you can use your Elite with RailMaster if you want, instead of the eLink. That combination may give you a more reliable operation. Once the Elite is connected up to directly replace the eLink with RailMaster, the only other change you need to make is to select Elite in the pull down box in RailMaster 'System Settings' for Controller A.

Optionally, if you want Elite throttle positions to feedback into RailMaster. Make sure that in the railmaster.ini file you have "Elite feedback=1" listed in it.

Just curious....why go back to using the eLink with RM, when you can use the Elite with RM......to me, it seems a backwards step.....the Elite is such a better controller compared to eLink.

Hi well the plan was to sell the elite it's worth a few £ so thought could spend that on a new loco ! Plus the elite unit packed up so had no choice at the time ... but sent it off to hornby who replaced it with a new unit free of charge ! So yes I agree it is a better unit so will be keeping it ..  regards Steve

Archived