Reading values of Hornby cheap decoder

minoo

Hi,

I have installed the cheap hornby decoder in my single wheeler loco. I have 2 digital systems - one of Arnold with read back facility and one of Roco without read back facility. However, i cannot read back the hornby decoder on arnold system.

I can read all other brand decoders.

Can someone help me explain why this is happening and how can it be resolved.

Thanks.

minoo

Minoo,
Hornby has had two "cheap" decoders. The 8215 which after a few versions of fw was superseded by the 8249.

The 8249 manual is shown @ https://www.hornby.com/filelibrary/download/?FileID=137 and even though it doesn't mention that you can

read CVs I think tat they are all readable.

The 8215 had a pretty troubled life before it was withdrawn although the 1.3 version was pretty reasonable. As I recall none of the 8215 CVs could be read.

Would it make sense that you have 8215s?

The R8249 4 function decoder replaces the earlier R8215 4 function decoder. Dimensions: 17mm x 10mm x 3.5mm.The R8249 decoder is similar to the R8215 in that it has the same hardware design. The major change is in firmware. The decoder has enhanced functionality

over its predecessor. The decoder can be identified by the blue dot painted on its MCU. The R8249 decoder is NMRA warranted.

The R8249 supports the following CVs:
• CV1 - Loco Address Default is 3 Long/short addressing supported
• CV3 –

Acceleration Default is 5 Range 0-255
• CV4 – Deceleration Default is 5 Range 0-255
• CV7 - Version Number
• CV8 - Manufacturer’s ID = 48 (writing the value 8 to this CV resets decoder to default.)
• CV10 - Back EMF response. Range 1-128 that indicates

the speed step above which back EMF control cuts off. Default is 128.
• CV17/18 - Used for setting up long address.
• CV29 - Default Decadic value = “6” (bit7 is ignored.) Note: this may show as “134” on some controllers due to reading bit 7 which is

set to ‘on’ in the factory.
The following bits are supported:
• Bit0 - Default Direction (default is 0 - normal)
• Bit1 - Location of F0 Headlight/Rear light direction Control bit (default is 1 - which corresponds to 128 speed steps operation.)

Bit2 - DC/DCC mode disable enable (default is 1 - power conversion on)
• Bit5 - Long/Short Address set up. (one or two byte address modes (default is 0 - decoder address 03)
• Bit6 - (fixed default is 0) not used
• Bit7 - (fixed default is 1) not

used
Full interrogation is supported - Direct, Paged, Register and Operate programming modes.

Current Capability
• Motor Output - 500mA Continuous, 1A peak for very short durations.
• Function Outputs - 100mA each x4

Please note:

the total current capability of the decoder is 500mA continuous shared between all outputs. Also when the R8249 became available it took over from the older R8215 decoders. Hornby DCC fitted locos now have this decoder in 4 pin inline connector configuration.

The decoder will also be used in Pendolino type locos i.e. those locos fitted with two decoders - one in the “dummy” car in order to control the lights.

Hi Greg and Hornby customer care.

Thanks for the replies.
My decoder is R8249. My query of 8249 not being able to read back on Arnold controller is not addressed. I want to know if this is possible or 8249 can only be read back on a particular

controller?
Secondly, to hace a full control of back emf, such that the loco travels at the same speed on an incline, should the value of CV 10 be lower (close to 1) or higher (Close to 128)?
minoo

Hi Customer care,

Thanks for the CV10 value clarification.

Will try the same this weekend and get back. Also will retry reading the 8249 on my Ar**ld controller.

Archived