TTS sound module versatility

fac

While i enjoy my model railway my preferances are perhaps that of operation enjoyment. I am aware that there are those who persue absolute realism in apperance and detail and would not understand otherwise. Therefore i have some intrepidation in asking the following question, Firstly i should state that most of my locomotives are railroad examples due to their ease of handling and sensible costing. I have recently purchased a gwr class 53, However there is no TTS sound module specific to this model. In truth other than distinguishing steam from diesel i would not be able to differentiate between most diesel type or steam type  sound, although i feel sure i could if i trained in that way. I therefore ask which would be the most sound like TTS module i could fit to my 53. Yes i know i would possibly not be able to distinguish so why worry, However who knows some day my grandson might

Compare engine types for a start, then try to find a video of each loco type and listen to the horns.

Basically if you can match those then that may be close enough for you.

Some locos have unique sound characteristics such as:

Class 40 are Whistlers

Class 50 are called Hoovers,

HST with Valenta engines have a distinctive turbo scream, etc.

Class 92 are Dysons,

Class 66 are Ying-Yings.

There are many more.

Thank you for the information,it was a historical eye opener as with the coming of diesel i was at an age of dis interest following my steam spotting days of earlier years. The diversity of engine sound and horn type over the years would be obvious with development but nothing i had previously considered. My actual purchase was a GWR 153 railbus  once again showing my lack of attention to detail. I have several railbus and while i know these will all have differing sounds it would be nice to have something acceptable. Given the cost of TTS against a non sound decoder i feel it is false economy not to fit them as it brings the railway alive. I can always assume they have had replacement engine and horn of the railbus type. However some slight realism would be nice if anyone has further suggestions . Thank you for the education so far, i will hold more respect for the diesel in future.

Thank You, it has certainly opened my eyes to the variety of sounds Diesel engines produce for differing traction and make. I guess if you worked on the railway you would be able to identify blindfold as you could for steam, so glad i dont have that familarity otherwise satisfaction would come at a huge price. Hornby of course have the right level for most of us.

Archived