James May BBC TV documentary looks inside Hornby Hobbies

woodcote

I don't know if anyone caught the first part of James May's new documentary on BBC Four last night. If not, it is available to view now on BBC iPlayer and will be repeated on BBC Four at 2.40am on Sunday morning and at 8pm on Sunday evening. The concluding part is on BBC Four next Wednesday at 9pm - all timings are UK time.

If you're searching for the programme, the full title is "James May's Big Trouble in Model Britain". The two programmes were filmed over 12 months with full access inside Hornby Hobbies. The first episode focused mainly on Horby model railways and Airfix, but Scalextric will make an appearance in Episode 2.

It's definitely worth a look. I thought it was pretty honest about how the previous management lost its way so badly and compounded the company's problems. The new team seem full of passion and enthusiasm - and I am sure the programme is excellent PR for them. With James May at the helm it is certainly no puff piece, but I couldn't see any concrete answers in that first programme.

What did you think?

The second and final part is on tonight (Wednesday 13 March), 9pm on BBC Four. Here's the blurb from the BBC TV website:

The concluding episode of the series, introduced and narrated by model train enthusiast James May, follows Hornby’s new management team in a desperate attempt to save the company.

In this episode Ken, head of audio development, is sent on a top-secret mission to capture the sound of a steam locomotive for its potential use in a brand new model.

Simon Kohler, Hornby’s number two, tries to rejuvenate the tired Scalextric brand name with a flashy new advert, but there is a problem: with the company strapped for cash, the budget is miniscule and it will have to be made entirely with in-house staff.

Meanwhile, the company takes on its first female product designer, Caitlin Williams. Fresh out of university, Caitlin is put on the Scalextric design team and we go behind the scenes to see what it takes to produce her first car.

In the climactic finale, we see Simon take on two of his biggest rivals as Hornby’s 2019 range includes two products that have the competitors fuming, leading to a dramatic showdown.

It should be available on BBC iPlayer as soon as the programme has aired and both episodes will be available for a month.

Six of those Camaros will make a fabulous Scalextric digital grid!

It was great to see the Scalextric team involved in the design and production process. Did anyone spot any prototypes or plans in the background for any other 2020 products? Might have to watch the Scalextric bits again...

Archived