USB3

One cannot say categorically just because it is USB3 that eLink won't work with it. There are members on here that say they use USB3 successfully. But it is true to say that more members have issues with USB3 than USB2. So much so, that HRMS have documented (somewhere) that a USB2 port should be used if one is available. Some brands of Laptop are more prone to USB issues than others. Lenovo for example......what is your Laptop brand?

I have tried just about every other advice given on these forums.

Such as......

There might be something you have not tried yet, but we don't know if to suggest it or not if you haven't said what you have tried. For example, have you performed the railmaster.ini modification that I document in many of my replies to users with eLink communication errors?

My RM controllers (Elite and eLink) are connected to a desktop PC using a USB3 PCi board and I never had any problems connecting.

Things can only get worse though as we now have USB-C and USB4 is on its way to a PC near you soon.

One cannot say categorically just because it is USB3 that eLink won't work with it. There are members on here that say they use USB3 successfully. But it is true to say that more members have issues with USB3 than USB2. So much so, that HRMS have documented (somewhere) that a USB2 port should be used if one is available. Some brands of Laptop are more prone to USB issues than others. Lenovo for example......what is your Laptop brand?

I have tried just about every other advice given on these forums.

Such as......

There might be something you have not tried yet, but we don't know if to suggest it or not if you haven't said what you have tried. For example, have you performed the railmaster.ini modification that I document in many of my replies to users with eLink communication errors?

I am using a Lenova Yoga touchscreen laptop. I have performed the ini mod along with fully updating the USB driver, I have also tried probably every suggestion in the forum still without success. I am ready to bin elink.

The thing is there are many, many folk (tens of thousands if the RM sales figures are to be believed) using all combinations of the possible controllers without much in the way of problems and only a few (not even tens of) squeaky wheels having real problems with them.

The majority of this very small minority‘s problems have then been sorted if not by directly taking heed of advice on these forums but by direct remote control intervention by HRMS using proven information already published in the extensive guides on this forum sticky posts.

Make up your own mind where the problem actually lies. My personal opinion is that 99% of all problems are caused by finger trouble. Getting the originator to realise that is much more difficult than fixing the snag.

Guys, could you please start by using the green reply button and text box at the bottom screen so you don’t keep repeating everyone’s posts.

Then I suggest you contact HRMS via the Help screen email with a view to having them log into you computer to check and fix your configuration settings.  Make sure you tell them everything you have tried and what advice you got from here, otherwise they will first get you to try all the basic stuff yourself.

If none of that works, at least it should have determined where the problem lies.  And it’s unlikely to be your eLink.

No need to throw the eLink in the bin as you say Dadadam... it is most likely NOT the eLink to blame here.

Lenovo laptops (and, indeed, some others) invariably have several issues with USB 3 ports and often attempts to fix these do not work as well as they should. Having said that it may be a combination of some of these that does the job… trial and error may need implementing and some patience too to boot. Here’s some of my favourites which HAVE been known to work.

Update hidden device drivers in Device Manager

This first method is sometimes only a temporary fix until a new update is released by Microsoft which can be alleviated by a newer BIOS version being flashed to the laptop. It will inevitably depend upon the laptop model especially Lenovo.

1. Open Device Manager from within the Control Panel.
  2. Click View from the menu and select Devices by Connection.
  3. Click Show Hidden Devices.
  4. Right click each hidden device and choose Update Drivers. Click Search automatically for updated driver software.
  5. Once completed, reboot your computer and check if your issue has been resolved.

Updating the system BIOS

This can be extremely dangerous to tackle if you really don’t know what you are doing here. Be careful. Check the Lenovo site for a BIOS release newer than your current one and see what the updates are for. Occasionally an updated version of said BIOS does not list all fixes so it may be worth doing the update anyway.

Please check and read ALL material before tackling this update that is is contained on the Lenovo site and please make sure the instructions you read are SPECIFICALLY for your own model.

I, and no-one else on this forum, can be held responsible for any errors made here. If you aren’t sure of what you are doing leave well alone.

Activate the USB Root Hub (xHCl)

There are reports, whether reliable or not is unimportant here, that a Windows 10 security update could disabling the USB Root Hub (xHCl), which causes one, some or all USB 3.0 ports to stop working.

This is an easy fix.

1. Go to Device Manager and expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers menu by clicking the small arrow to the left of the name given in italic above.
  2. Right click on USB Root Hub (xHCl) - HC stands for Host Controller and if any of the items here has a yellow triangle over the icon to the left then it is not configured correctly. If the icon has a red cross over it then it is usually disabled. Choose to Enable the device or update its driver.
  3. Restart your computer and check if your issue has been resolved.

Draining or discharging the capacitors

1. This is a not so obvious one. Take the laptop off the mains and disconnect the battery from the laptop.
  2. Press and hold the power button for 20 to 30 seconds. This drains residual power which is held by the laptop’s capacitors (which are really just like batteries in one sense) and could clear the path to the USB sockets which may have had power restricted.

None of these ‘fixes’ are guaranteed but you should know that at least they do work and it may well prove the case in your scenario but do remember each system is configured differently so none of the above may work at all. Also remember that Lenovo are absolutely notorious for USB sockets to stop working at any time. I am not against this company and wish them no ill will but when laptops are released with badly built hardware companies have to be prepared to take this stuff on the chin - or fix the problem.

Archived