programming issues for some locos on the Elite controller

TJM

I have recently (March 2019) purchased a new Elite (via Amazon) plus some locos from Hattons, Rails of Sheffield, Kernow and Olivia's trains. I now have 7 locos all fitted with dcc chips. My problem is that 2 of these locos refuse to accept any address other than 3 which is an obvious problem. The locos are R3405 Class J50 from Hattons at end Feb 2019 fitted with a Hattons Originals DCR-8PIN-HarnessMini 8-pin (harness) 2-function 1.1 amp small & thin (mini) decoder with back EMF [Hatton's description] and loco R3226 72xx 7218 from Olivia's trains in early April 2019 fitted with ESU V4 Olivia's Sound. Track is new, Elite is new, locos are new. Where am I going wrong with these 2 locos? My other 5 locos all programmed without problems.

The ESU Loksound V4 shouldn't be a problem. I am using these decoders with an Elite no issue. Can't comment on the Hattons decoder though.

What firmware is showing on the Elite display during the power up?

If it is truly 'new' then it should show 1.44 if it shows anything less than 1.44 then it is old stock. Fortunately, the Elite firmware can be upgraded at home DIY. So if you need to upgrade, then ask here for the tried and tested upgrade method.

If Elite firmware is 1.44, then try factory resetting everything. The reset of the Elite is in the Elite user guide (P68). To reset the ESU and Hattons decoders write value 8 to CV8.

You could also try to write new addresses to these two decoders using either the 'Register' or 'Paged' programming mode. Using these other modes has been known in some cases to program a decoder that wont accept an address using the default 'Direct' mode. Again these alternative programming modes are documented in the Elite user guide manual (P27 & P28).

TIP: As this is your very first post, just be aware that the 'Blue Button with the White Arrow' is not a 'Reply to this post' button. If you want to reply to any of the posts, scroll down and write your reply in the reply text box at the bottom of the page and click the Green 'Reply' button.

Another way is to write directly to CV1 (short address) rather than use the Elite write-address menu method. There should be no difference but as sometimes happens electronic devices seem to have a mind of their own.

Direct mode is the default mode that your first post said didnt work. Did you mean to say you used the Paged or Register mode which are not the default mode and need to be manually selected before you can use them.

Archived