Rubber drying and cracking

Gert B

Hello and Welcome!

The only way to really stop that would be to vacuum pack the cars when not in use.

Rubber is a natural material that reacts with its environment and will go hard and possibly crack over time.

Since vacuum packing is probably not practical, make sure you keep them in as air-tight containers as possible with the wheels off the ground. Tires can develop flat spots over time..

If the tires are just hard and not cracked you can try soaking them for a few hours in oil, such as 3-in-1 oil or sewing machine oil. Drying them off with a lint-free towel afterwards and let them air dry for a few hours. You may be able to rescue them.

I am not sure where the best place would be to get replacement tires where you are.

Here is a list of stockists you could contact.

Good luck!

Welcome Gert! I think the best solution is to source some new tyres for the back wheels. You will find the car is transformed with new rubber. It is probably easiest to find the old Scalextric 'small slick' tyres from a manufacturer of replacement urethane or rubber tyres, such as Paul Gage (Canada), Scalextric Car Restorations (UK), RUSC or PCS (both via Pendle Slot Racing, UK). I know racers in South Africa commonly import spares from the UK, so hopefully Namibia is the same.

The front tyres - so long as they are not falling apart - will be fine as they are. Less grip on the front is usually considered a good thing :-)

Have fun!

Archived