TTS Sound [new install, but no sound]

Guest Chrissaf

Have you sent a F1 command from your DCC Controller to turn the sound on?

With respect we are not mind readers. You will need to expand with more detail on your issue. One short sentence does not give enough information to base a realistic diagnostic deduction on.

1. I see from a previous post that you are using a secondhand Select from ebay.....what firmware is installed on it?
  2. Is the TTS decoder still on the default 03 DCC Address?
  3. Does the loco move back and forth under DCC control? if you answer nothing else, answer this question, plus the firmware question.
  4. What actual TTS decoder are you using Rnnnn?

Note: Select firmware shows on screen during the power up sequence. Three sequential numbers will be displayed xx followed by 30 followed by 03 where xx is the firmware version. For example xx = 11 = firmware version 1.1

Edit: Howbi posted his whilst I was typing mine.

Apologies for little info given; I bought the R8113 TTS sound decoder for loco R3232 class J15. The loco runs back and forth very well (but if it derails for whatever reason, it sometimes resets itself and won't run for a few minutes). The loco is set to 03 address and I've tried to change the address several times but it doesn't seem to accept it, though I did change the address to my other loco ok. I've tried using the function key but nothing happens and the select controller (when turned on) shows 11 and then 30, so I'm assuming it's firmware 1 1 

It is indeed firmware version 1.1

You really need firmware version 1.5 for full compatibility with Hornby TTS decoders. Select firmware upgrades are a 'return to Hornby' process. Typically charged at £15 plus your sending postage costs (Hornby include the return costs in your £15 fee). Ring Hornby Customer Care to arrange and get a 'returns' authorisation code. Number on the 'Contact Us' link at the very bottom of this page.

For your info this is the Select firmware progression...

Version 1.0 - Initial release. Point and accessory addresses start at 60 in order to use all groups of four up to last address 99. Able to control functions 0-4.

Version 1.1 - Point and accessory addresses now start at 61 through 99 to accord with NMRA addressing groups. Users upgrading from v1.0 should readdress all their points and accessory addresses to the new system. Able to control functions 0-8. Able to program on the main (POM). 

Version 1.2 - Start up screen shows revision state. Improved throttle interface. Changes to setting up default direction switching. Resume operations after a power down/restart. 

Version 1.3 - Programming improved for ESU Loksound v4.0 sound decoders. 

Version 1.4 - Minor update to correct function control issues. 

Version 1.5 - Major system upgrade to extend function range 0-28 in support of sound decoders. Change to function methodology. 

Version 1.6 - Major system update to allow CV’s to be changed and provide improved overload protection.

markdcc

You say you purchased the Select second-hand via e-bay. Did it come with its original paper manual or did you download a PDF version.

If you downloaded a PDF version you may have downloaded a later manual version and not be following the correct method of sending an F1 command from your version 1.1 firmware Select to turn on the sound. The Function button method has changed with different firmware releases. For example, since you have currently got firmware 1.1....are you using method 1) shown below for version 1.1 firmware.

Note that before you can use the methods described below. You have to select the loco address first i.e be in a control state where you can move the loco back and forth using the Select knob. In your case, DCC address 03, thus 03 should be displayed on the LCD screen

The following info has been taken directly from the various different manual versions. Although at first glance methods 1) and 2) seem to be 'six of one half dozen of the other'. In other words not significantly different, but that was what was written in the two manuals.

1) Firmware version 1.1

Press and Hold the Function button, then press the number button for the function you require (only F numbers 0 to 8 are supported) i.e in your case press number 1 for 'sound on'.

2) Firmware versions 1.2 - 1.4

Press and Hold the number button for the function you require (only F numbers 0 to 8 are supported). Then whilst holding the number button, press the Function button.

3) Firmware version 1.5

Key in the function number (from 0 to 28) of the function you require. The number should appear on the LCD display. With the number buttons released, then press the Function button.

Archived